Lighting workshop

shed301

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I attended a workshop the other night for the camera club i belong to to do with studio lighting and setups etc. We had a couple of *volunteer* models who kindly donated their time for us to test with. Now this is completely out of my comfort zone as i normally just do landscape photography But alas i thought this might be something cool to play with, I will try to give you as much detail about the setups as i remember.... but you'll get the usual stats of shutterspeed, F-stop under each picture. Most of the lighting setups were of 2 lights with one being on full power and the other being on half. ISO's were between 100-200

513o82.jpg

1/125th
F13

307ugqq.jpg

1/125th
F11

5dtjck.jpg

1/20th
F11

Note: this was using just the flash on my K200D

ftmzb.jpg

One tungsen light used on the side with a carboard box with a hole in the side for effect

1/10
F5.6

also should have used a tripod with this.. would be been much clearer

30biv7c.jpg

another hand held shot and just camera flash used

(being a good friend of the model... i get this from her a lot :lol: )

1/20
F11

what do i need to improve?.. please useful constructive c&c, Can't learn much if rubbish is thrown down instead

All seem under exposed. There needs to be some sort of hair light on the woman with the black hair and the guys with the hat, otherwise anything dark blends right into the background. I find that a light off to the side and behind works well to give an outline and seperate the subject and background.

All of them seem to have unflattering shadows as well. The eyes are very dark. You would benefit from a light in front of the subject as well, to eliminate the shadows. Play around with moving the light. Have you ever seen the classic photos with a guy and his lamp? And he moves the lamp around and takes a different pic with the lamp in various positions? As cheesy as it sounds, its beneficial and can help you learn a lot about light positioning to avoid unflattering shadows and make your subject pop. But generally, black on black doesnt work unless there is proper lighting to separate the subject from the background. But, i have seen exceptions :)

Most reactions

Back