Lighting

vickie.james

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Bought some studio lights and umbrellas. When I took the pictures, I had uneven light on my backdrop. What did I do wrong to cause the uneven light or did I not have my camera set to the right setting? Could someone explain how you set up your lights, backdrops, etc?

You are going to have to give us more info that that. Preferably show us the shots that didn't work and maybe even a diagram of how you set up your lights etc.

One light will sometime cause fallout. Angle of light hitting the backdrop when it is set off to the side ie cross lighting. How many lights do you have and what was your position with them? This will help people give you the correct technical answers.

One light will sometime cause fallout. Angle of light hitting the backdrop when it is set off to the side ie cross lighting. How many lights do you have and what was your position with them? This will help people give you the correct technical answers.

I have two lights and I place one on each side of the backdrop about 5 feet from my subject. I am at work so I can't post a picture yet. I will try to when I get home later on today.

As Dee was saying, light falls off over distance. So if you have two lights aimed at your subject, and the backdrop is behind the subject, then the backdrop is getting less light. This is especially important if you are trying for a white background, because even a white backdrop, will look grey if it gets less light than your subject (assuming that your exposure is correct for the subject).
This is why most studio lighting scenarios, include at least one separate light on the background only.

Also, when learning to use studio lighting, don't just place one light on either side of the subject. Instead, concentrate on just one light to the side. Use that light to get some creative light and shadow on your subject. The 2nd light should be very close to the camera position and it's job is to 'fill' in the shadows...but when you're learning, just try one light as first.

As Dee was saying, light falls off over distance. So if you have two lights aimed at your subject, and the backdrop is behind the subject, then the backdrop is getting less light. This is especially important if you are trying for a white background, because even a white backdrop, will look grey if it gets less light than your subject (assuming that your exposure is correct for the subject).
This is why most studio lighting scenarios, include at least one separate light on the background only.

Also, when learning to use studio lighting, don't just place one light on either side of the subject. Instead, concentrate on just one light to the side. Use that light to get some creative light and shadow on your subject. The 2nd light should be very close to the camera position and it's job is to 'fill' in the shadows...but when you're learning, just try one light as first.

Thank you, that makes sense. I will try that next. I am just beginning to learn about studio lighting.

This involves the Family of Angles as well as light fall off.

I recommend the book Light: Science & Magic by Hunter/Biver/Fuqua.

Thanx for posting this question. i also just got studio lights or actually speedlights and am having troubles also

Keep me posted on what you find out too. I'm not going to give up.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This involves the Family of Angles as well as light fall off.

I recommend the book Light: Science & Magic by Hunter/Biver/Fuqua.

... just bought also this. Today I had two illuminations (pun intended): this one and Hot shoe diaries, suggested by Bitter Jeweler in some other thread. Thanks forum :) .

Thanks, I will see if I can find that book.
Here you go. Just click on the link:[/QUOTE]

You know, you're just being an enabler. Very uncharacteristic. :er:

:lmao:

Most reactions

Back