Lightning in a rainbow!!

EW1066

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the very first time I have ever witnessed this ...I was lucky enough to capture it but unfortunate enough to mess it up. I got "BUCK FEVER" and shook like a Chihuaha :x. But I had to post it. I though you guys could appreciate it. Next time I will use a tripod.

DSC_0154-1.jpg

Vince

I've never seen that combination (lightning and rainbow) either!!

Do you think if you cropped out the house and wires it would still look okay? (ie keeping the lightning, rainbow, and most of the treetops but getting rid of the fuzzy house)

Wow, that's bizarre. A buddy of mine was literally just yesterday telling me he saw the very same thing just a couple days ago.

You don't happen to live in the Arlington, MA USA area, do you? :)

Nice capture regardless of the unfortunate lack of the tripod. Very neat.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I was hopping mad when I missed an earlier strike, and was lucky enough to have the camera up to my eye and ready when this one hit. The Rainbow was unbelievably vivid only minutes before. but as the sun was setting at the time it quickly faded. I was fortunate indeed. here is a picture of the rainbow before it started to fade

DSC_0132-1.jpg

DSC_0129-1.jpg

Vince

Great stuff!

I have wanted to catch lighting or rainbows for a while.

You have got both in one frame. Cool!

I tried to capture lightning a few weeks ago and got nowhere. Did you just shoot multi mode or got lucky when you shot it the first time?

if its at night, use a trripod and a long shutter time 1-15 seconds. or bulb mode if you have it.
the day is harder. Nd filter will help

i was tryng to get lightning and rainbows as well last weekend

i did get both.
but i really wanted a closer lightning bolt
DSC_4508.jpg

I tried to capture lightning a few weeks ago and got nowhere. Did you just shoot multi mode or got lucky when you shot it the first time?

I was in manual mode and triggered by hand. Not what I would recommend fro trying to capture such a fleeting event as lightning. The need to suddenly release the shutter resulted in a "knee jerk" sort of reaction and screwed up the picture.

Vince

I played with the image in Paint.NET and was able to use the rainbow, trees and house from an infocus image ang the lightning from the original. I played with the levels a little as well.

Tell me what you think. No need to be gentle....but please know that this is the very first time I have used layers to make a composit picture.

Rainbowlightninglayers.jpg

Vince

I captured this rainbow on my P&S a few weeks ago. I framed it nicely around my friends house. I printed them out a copy of it, and they loved it.

rainbowff9.jpg

Last edited:
I played with the image in Paint.NET and was able to use the rainbow, trees and house from an infocus image ang the lightning from the original. I played with the levels a little as well.

Tell me what you think. No need to be gentle....but please know that this is the very first time I have used layers to make a composit picture.

Rainbowlightninglayers.jpg

Vince
You did quite well for a first try. As I was scrolling down, then back up, I got to a point where the top of the house was hidden, but the trees were still visible. I liked that composition a lot. You might want to try that for yourself.

Does Paint.net enable you to clone stuff out? For example, the telephone pole and wires. Since you were already compositing, you might think about removing distracting elements.

if its at night, use a trripod and a long shutter time 1-15 seconds. or bulb mode if you have it.
the day is harder. Nd filter will help

i was tryng to get lightning and rainbows as well last weekend

i did get both.
but i really wanted a closer lightning bolt
DSC_4508.jpg

So the pot of gold is in the lighthouse? Nice capture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back