Lightning

GARRETTgalbreath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Notice the extra N in topic. I saw a nice thunderstorm the other night and I was wondering how do those amazing photos of lightning come about? Do you just anticipate and hope to catch it, or is there some patten you can figure out when lightning is going to be visible (like determining distance of storm by counting delay of thunder). Is it all just luck? I want to get a cool shot of some lightning but I don't want to look like a fool taking picture after picture until the storm passes, with an extremely good chance of not getting a shot, and on top of that be soaked. Anyone have any lightning shots they captured and can share with us? Thanks..

Other then just opening exposure and waiting, any other tips?

Yea I saw those threads, but other than hoping to catch a shot with a long shutter time, is there anything else anyone can do to increase the odds of getting a shot? Being out in a field? Somewhere with a lot of lightning rods? Something more along those lines... I don't think waiting around with the lens open is too pratical and I'm looking for something to help tilt the scales in my favor, so to speak.

Well you probably don't want to be anywhere near where the lightning is striking. You can see & photograph it from very far away so being close to it won't help much. You especially don't want to be out in a field...

Just be ready when a storm is comming...but do it safely.

GARRETTgalbreath said:
Yea I saw those threads, but other than hoping to catch a shot with a long shutter time, is there anything else anyone can do to increase the odds of getting a shot? Being out in a field? Somewhere with a lot of lightning rods? Something more along those lines... I don't think waiting around with the lens open is too pratical and I'm looking for something to help tilt the scales in my favor, so to speak.
You've heard the phrase "Storm Chaser" right? It's all about finding a lightning cell and getting in front of it.

Apache%20Lake%20092704-10.jpg

Most reactions

Back