Lightpainting (Needs C&C)

CuffsAlister

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$BigMike.JPG

I took this shot with 30 sec shutter speed and ISO @ 100 (with a tripod of course)
Camera: Nikon D200

There was some background lights that lit up the back a little but used a flashlight to write the words and light up "Big Mike"

I don't recall what I left my Aperature at and I shoot in Manual. I believe it was at f8. My WB may have been on Automatic so I am not sure if that changes anything drastically.

Would like C&C on how to make this picture better.
If anyone wants to edit this photo as well, I can send RAW file.

It's your pretty basic cliche first light painting project. We've all been there and I think you did yours well.

some suggestions though, longer shutter, more time lighting big mike (the person), and I'd would have also tried to put some light on the water fountain to the right of the frame. It's an interesting element but it's nearly missed Bc it's in the dark.

Will this photo get in a magazine or be your legacy after you pass, no. But it's a cool and fun image that I'm sure big mike will use as his FB profile picture and be well received by others on there. Keep shooting, light painting is fun, but branch out and take more time composing your lighting of the scene a little more next time.

Beaux, thanks. I appreciate it. I take other photos but I prefer to do light painting as a hobby. I appreciate the heads up. I will definitely try that next time.

I wanted to do a longer shutter but my only problem was that I don't have a wireless shutter remote so the only way I can do longer than 30 seconds was holding down the button which can cause blurring on the photo.
Im working on getting the remote soon but a college student doesn't really have much to spend haha.

My remote cost 16 bucks and it's made by nikon. They aren't expensive :)

Ug, it's been going around. "Big Mike!" Very funny. Are you rich?

P.S. It's Good

Ug, it's been going around. "Big Mike!" Very funny. Are you rich?

P.S. It's Good

Not sure what entirely you are talking about lol. That's just his nickname he goes by in the neighborhood so I decided to do this picture for him. Not rich at all, in fact nearly in debt haha.

I appreciate the compliment though :mrgreen:

My remote cost 16 bucks and it's made by nikon. They aren't expensive :)

Yeah I was looking at some of them. I have been meaning to get one but I don't use it enough to actually get it. I might just pick one up on my next paycheck :D

No, the remote isn't enough? :) Geez, you're greedy! I like your pic though. After I get more experience under my belt, I'd like to try that.

Super easy. Just put your DSLR on a tripod and have a shutter of 30 sec + and use a flashlight to draw the painting. Just YouTube it as well and there are some good instructional videos.

Let me know when you try it!! I want to see how it comes out.

That is so good that you would be run out of town for wizardry a hundred years ago.

Are you shooting Nikon or Canon? If you're shooting canon you can just download Magic Lantern and set you bulb timer to whatever you want it to be, the firmware handles the rest. ;) If you are shooting Nikon you can always look for a phone app that will control the camera. Many of them offer bulb timer functions.

That's a hell lot better than what my first light painting was!
I drew a smiley and it looked like a carrot !

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back