Lightroom 3.4, set D7000 to "Adobe RGB"?

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm confused about the "color space" setting in my new cam. I have it set to sRGB but am wondering if it should be set to adobe since I shoot RAW and always go through Lightroom as PP

Thanks

Color space is a digital setting, as as such, it doesn't matter what it's set to when you're shooting RAW. RAW files don't have a specific color profile.

I believe that Lightroom uses ProPhoto RGB, internally...but you can set a different profile when you export.

thank you very much

Some resources to look at:

Color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Color depth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tutorials on Color Management & Printing

Since CS5 Camera Raw and Lightroom 3 use the same edit rendering engine - ACR 6, this book is also valuable to Lightroom users:
Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5

While you're at it, if you're going to shoot Raw it's a good idea to have this on your book shelf too: Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Some resources to look at:

Color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Color depth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tutorials on Color Management & Printing

Since CS5 Camera Raw and Lightroom 3 use the same edit rendering engine - ACR 6, this book is also valuable to Lightroom users:
Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5

While you're at it, it's a good idea to have this on your book shelf too: Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

Thanks for sharing those resources, I'll be reading up on the topic at hand
bigthumb.gif

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Internet search engines are wonderful tools, if used.

yea I tried google but my original question didn't render much. with these responses from you guys i'll soon have a better understanding and again I appreciate it.

If you shooting in RAW you can set the colour space afterwards in light room, but if you want to print the image check what colour space your printer uses, thats the one you want to use.

happy shooting
Ross Images - Home

No don't. You want to use one of the 3 standard widely used colour spaces available. You want to preferably use sRGB unless you have a really good reason to do otherwise (such as printing with a very high end printer), and your colour space should always be wider than the printing space.

Output profiles are not meant to be working profiles, you should not have a picture with the embedded profile of say your monitor or printer.

I just hate to print an image and get somthing that doesn't look exactly like it did on screen. Brides hate it when this happens aswell. But if your work isn't for print then I agree.

I just hate to print an image and get somthing that doesn't look exactly like it did on screen. Brides hate it when this happens aswell. But if your work isn't for print then I agree.

Thats happening to me with Lightroom 3. I started another thread about my printing woes and I was told LR3 doesn't do soft proofing, I need to further edit in PS or paint shop pro.

All (all cannon) of my printers seem to use Adobe RGB 1998. All I know is this gives me accurate prints.

I just hate to print an image and get somthing that doesn't look exactly like it did on screen.
What screen? That tiny un-calibrateable LCD on the back of the camera? If so, get real.

If you mean a computer display, soft-proofing is as close as you can get a calibrated IPS screen display to look like a print will eventually look like, and that is still just an approximation.

Note: Screens (electronic displays) are backlit, prints are senn by reflected light, so they will never look identical.

Thats happening to me with Lightroom 3. I started another thread about my printing woes and I was told LR3 doesn't do soft proofing, I need to further edit in PS or paint shop pro.
but then another TPF member pointed out that there is a plug-in for Lightroom 3 that permits soft-proofing:

Did You Know Lightroom Can Soft-Proof? - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips

Lightroom Plugins - Soft Proofing for Lightroom

but then another TPF member pointed out that there is a plug-in for Lightroom 3 that permits soft-proofing:

Did You Know Lightroom Can Soft-Proof? - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips

Lightroom Plugins - Soft Proofing for Lightroom

Thanks, this is great news. I'll look into this tonight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back