Lightroom 3 book suggestions

azwizzard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have both LR3 and Photoshop CS5 and don't really know how to use either one... :lmao:

I decided that I would to REALLY learn to use LR3 1st and then I will move on to learning CS5. It looks like I would be using LR for the majority of my work and CS5 when needed.

I am looking for some suggestions on some good books to get to help me start learning LR3.

I was looking at this one Amazon.com: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (9780321700919): Scott Kelby: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

What else would you suggest?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, Lightroom 3 and the ACR that is included with CS5 are the same rendering engine - ACR 6.x. So for editing purposes you can kill 2 birds with one book; Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5 by Jeff Schewe and Bruce Frazer.

However, as important as it is, many people really don't know how to sharpen their images so Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom also by Jeff & Bruce is also good to have.

For maximizing Lightroom 3's main function, image catalog database management, get The DAM Book by Peter Krogh.

For CS5, Scott Kelby's book is basically a collection of tutorials, but complements Martin Evening's book Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers is more complete in describing the functions available in CS5.

The last resource to consider is joining the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) so you have access to their member only web site.
The web site has tutorials, an active forum frequented by many certified Phoptoshop and Lightroom experts and members get 8 issues a year of Photoshop User magazine that includes a large Lightroom section every issue.
They have a help desk, and NAPP members get discounts on Scott Kelby books and other training materials.
NAPP members get discounts on a variety of hardware, software and other services, making it quite easy to save the yearly membership fee many times over in 12 months time.

They are also currently offering a membership discount to Mpix customers;
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-photo-gallery/222649-napp-discount.html

Last edited:
I have the Kelby LR2 and LR3 books. They are great books for learning the program. Kelby takes you through the modules, one by one and offers lots of tips and suggested settings. I would recommend it.

I have the Kelby LR2 and LR3 books. They are great books for learning the program. Kelby takes you through the modules, one by one and offers lots of tips and suggested settings. I would recommend it.

Same here!

Last edited:
Thanks, I am going to get the Kelby book to start and work from there.

From what I've seen recently, the Adobe 'Classroom in a book' series seems to get really good reviews. The way they are set out, they really do look like they take you from knowing nothing to the point where you can really start to get something useful out of their products.

Given that Photoshop isn't strictly geared towards photographers, that may be an area where you might want to consider alternatives, but for Lightroom 3 I can't imagine there would be a better start point.

I have both LR3 and Photoshop CS5 and don't really know how to use either one... :lmao:

I decided that I would to REALLY learn to use LR3 1st and then I will move on to learning CS5. It looks like I would be using LR for the majority of my work and CS5 when needed.

I am looking for some suggestions on some good books to get to help me start learning LR3.

What else would you suggest?

Martin Evening's Photoshop Lightroom 3 is excellent.
Amazon.com: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers (9780321680709): Martin Evening: Books

Scott Kelby's LR3 book helps round out Martin Evening's book
Amazon.com: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers, ePub eBook: Scott Kelby: Kindle Store

Adobe Lightroom 3, The Missing FAQ
by Vitoria Bampton is an online (490p) or paperback that is loaded with good info, you can find it here.
Victoria Bampton - Lightroom Queen

Other sites to find LR3 help:

AdobeTV | Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

Photoshop Lightroom 3 training at PhotoshopCAFE. Lightroom 3 learning site.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lightroom+3+tutorial&aq=3s

There are tons more, just google the topic.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back