Lightroom brush tool

Devinhullphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How many people use the brush tool frequently? I just started using it and I'm really liking it a lot.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Deleted because of personal stupidity. I misread the OP's post...

:banghead:

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
Certainly a great tool...and it's the one that that can most often save you from having to port the image over to Photoshop (or whatever program) and back,

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a NOOB at PS and have been doing a lot of work lately with CS6.

What does each of you use the brush tool for?
They are talking about the 'Adjustment brush' in Lightroom. It allows you to choose from several different 'sliders' to get a specific effect, and paint/brush that effect onto the image. For example, if you wanted increase the exposure of your subjects, without affecting the background, you could set a positive value on the exposure slider and just paint that onto your subjects.

The tool also has an 'Auto Mask' option, so you don't have to be super precise with your brushing...but it's not perfect and does require cleaning up sometimes.

A cool thing about it, is that once the area has been 'brushed', you can completely change the effect of the brush. For example, I will often set the exposure to -4, basically painting an area black, just so that I can see where I'm painting. Then I'll change the exposure to where I want it (maybe back to zero) and dial in the settings that I do want; saturation, sharpness, white balance etc.

With it's masking feature and ability to use multiple and separate adjustments, it gets close to simulating layers...which is the strength of Photoshop CS/Elements etc.

OP
Devinhullphoto

Devinhullphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
They are talking about the 'Adjustment brush' in Lightroom. It allows you to choose from several different 'sliders' to get a specific effect, and paint/brush that effect onto the image. For example, if you wanted increase the exposure of your subjects, without affecting the background, you could set a positive value on the exposure slider and just paint that onto your subjects.

The tool also has an 'Auto Mask' option, so you don't have to be super precise with your brushing...but it's not perfect and does require cleaning up sometimes.

A cool thing about it, is that once the area has been 'brushed', you can completely change the effect of the brush. For example, I will often set the exposure to -4, basically painting an area black, just so that I can see where I'm painting. Then I'll change the exposure to where I want it (maybe back to zero) and dial in the settings that I do want; saturation, sharpness, white balance etc.

With it's masking feature and ability to use multiple and separate adjustments, it gets close to simulating layers...which is the strength of Photoshop CS/Elements etc.

It wasn't until recently in figured out what it did. I saw the icon and always figured it was a clone stamp of sorts.

cptkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
When editing in lightroom, yes, I use it. But I don't edit much in Lightroom anymore.

KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Photos OK to edit
Something nice about the Adjustment Brush in ACR (Camera Raw/Develop module) is that you can exaggerate the slider settings to see where it is being applied and then reduce the settings to the desired amount.

But, ideally you should minimize the number of individual masks you make and apply multiple adjustments for Camera Raw/Develop module performance reasons.

Understanding the relationship between Flow and Density brush adjustments is a key.
You can also use Auto Mask to erase what you don't want in the current mask.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
It wasn't until recently in figured out what it did. I saw the icon and always figured it was a clone stamp of sorts.

I've always said that Lightroom isn't the most intuitive program to use. People really need some soft of 'formal' education on it, to even start getting the most out of it.
It could just be a good book or two, or some good on-line tutorials (not just tips).

I teach a class on Using Lightroom, it's 18 hours of class time...and it still leave out lots of material.

kathyt

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I use the brush tool all the time.

kathyt

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I use the brush tool all the time.
I watched a Creative Live class on LR a year or so ago and it changed the way I felt about LR so much. It was really eye opening. LR is really powerful, and the brush tools are mega power tools!

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics