Lightroom printing question

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have Lightroom 5 and would like to send out some photos for printing to Walgreens. My question is: What is the best way to have the photo I see on my screen to look some what accurate for printing ? Such as colors, saturation etc. I don't have calibrating software, etc. was thinking of trying Windows 7 calibration. Basically just want to print something for my dad and sister that looks decent and can be hung on the wall. Preferably 8x10. I'm afraid any larger would not look good. I shoot in raw. Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Beyond making sure the photo's color space is sRGB I'd say cross fingers on both hands -- not much else you can do. If you use a better print service than Wallgreens and get your system calibrated (hardware calibrator required) then you'd have some options. If you use the calibration function built into Windows DO NOT use the final step that allows you to adjust color -- you'll likely end up worse off than when you started. Just use the gamma adjustment.

Joe

Beyond making sure the photo's color space is sRGB I'd say cross fingers on both hands -- not much else you can do. If you use a better print service than Wallgreens and get your system calibrated (hardware calibrator required) then you'd have some options. If you use the calibration function built into Windows DO NOT use the final step that allows you to adjust color -- you'll likely end up worse off than when you started. Just use the gamma adjustment.

Joe

Is it better if I don't use Windows calibration tool? Thanks so much for your help.

Joe

Is it better if I don't use Windows calibration tool? Thanks so much for your help.

The gamma calibration portion is fine and it'll help you get the display about the right brightness and contrast so go ahead and do that. But seriously you're looking at $79.00 to do it right. http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNSM...d=1446049179&sr=8-3&keywords=colormunki+smile

How much did the camera cost and the software cost and the computer cost and why leave off one last $79.00 dollars to tie it all together.

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Joe

The gamma calibration portion is fine and it'll help you get the display about the right brightness and contrast so go ahead and do that. But seriously you're looking at $79.00 to do it right. http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNSM...d=1446049179&sr=8-3&keywords=colormunki+smile

How much did the camera cost and the software cost and the computer cost and why leave off one last $79.00 dollars to tie it all together.

Joe

Because all those items were gifted to me by family and friends. I don't have a high paying job. Can't afford them.

Joe

Joe

Because all those items were gifted to me by family and friends. I don't have a high paying job. Can't afford them.

Xmas list: http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNSM...d=1446049179&sr=8-3&keywords=colormunki+smile

Printing services vary widely so might try sending one print off to Walgreens and see the results before sending out for a bunch of prints. I have a local photo shop that that has a person to review the image prior to printing and they will print out test strips and offer various paper options that is probably not available at Walgreens. There are also a lot of other online printing services, with great degrees of variation in results and someone here may have a recommendation as an alternative to Walgreens.

Also, a print that is matted and in a nice frame generally looks a lot better on the wall than an 8x10 stuck in an 8x10 frame.

Just a couple things to consider if you've gone to the trouble to shoot in RAW and process in LightRoom. I think it is a great idea to print some of your photos, I know I don't print enough.

Joe

Joe

Xmas list: http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNSM...d=1446049179&sr=8-3&keywords=colormunki+smile

Thanks for the link

Printing services vary widely so might try sending one print off to Walgreens and see the results before sending out for a bunch of prints. I have a local photo shop that that has a person to review the image prior to printing and they will print out test strips and offer various paper options that is probably not available at Walgreens. There are also a lot of other online printing services, with great degrees of variation in results and someone here may have a recommendation as an alternative to Walgreens.

Also, a print that is matted and in a nice frame generally looks a lot better on the wall than an 8x10 stuck in an 8x10 frame.

Just a couple things to consider if you've gone to the trouble to shoot in RAW and process in LightRoom. I think it is a great idea to print some of your photos, I know I don't print enough.

Unfortunately this small town does not have any photo printing shops, at least not that I know of. The matted print is a good idea will definitely look into it. We'll see how it all works out. I don't have much experience with Lightroom, but learning and reading as I go. I appreciate your suggestions.

Most reactions

Back