LIGHTROOM QUESTION

hombredelmar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can someone explain the situation?

1. I open lightroom then I import a folder I work with in lightroom. I save a couple of versions of the same picture and I can see them each time I save it, however I cannot see it in the original folder on my computer. What do I do?

1. Lightroom creates lots of unneeded folders, I guess the folders I import to lightroom. It does not help but creates confusion. What do I do?

Thank you for in advance for your help !

LR has a ton of file handling options it can use during imports. It sounds like you might need to just sit down and figure out what your typical workflow is going to be. I know when I started, I was working way too hard with LR -- I copied files off my memory cards manually, then used LR to point to those folders. When I finally figured out I could let LR just copy the files off the card and into a destination directory, it saved me a ton of time.

The multiple versions, btw, sound like maybe you created the copies in LR. If that's the case, you're experiencing the non-destructive editing in LR. Since it's storing all of its edits as "instructions" rather than actual image changes, creating a copy is also an instruction, which means that your original file is untouched and uncopied. The copy is virtual.

LR has a ton of file handling options it can use during imports. It sounds like you might need to just sit down and figure out what your typical workflow is going to be. I know when I started, I was working way too hard with LR -- I copied files off my memory cards manually, then used LR to point to those folders. When I finally figured out I could let LR just copy the files off the card and into a destination directory, it saved me a ton of time.

The multiple versions, btw, sound like maybe you created the copies in LR. If that's the case, you're experiencing the non-destructive editing in LR. Since it's storing all of its edits as "instructions" rather than actual image changes, creating a copy is also an instruction, which means that your original file is untouched and uncopied. The copy is virtual.

Thank you for your prompt response, I definitely need to seat and figure this out.
Thanks once again

Check out youtube, ton of helpful videos.

1. I open lightroom then I import a folder I work with in lightroom. I save a couple of versions of the same picture and I can see them each time I save it, however I cannot see it in the original folder on my computer. What do I do?

You only see the "final" picture when you EXPORT the image or work with it in Lightroom. Then Lightroom takes the original file, all the respective changes (crop, exposure, etc) and exports it to a JPEG or other file for you. A RAW/NEF file provides more ability of changes than a JPEG when imported.

Info on how Lightroom uses a Catalog (where it stores all the changes to the image) --> Lightroom Catalogs Explained

Other info --> Lightroom catalog FAQ
More --> Where are my Lightroom Files? - Digital Photography School

1. Lightroom creates lots of unneeded folders, I guess the folders I import to lightroom. It does not help but creates confusion. What do I do?
You should learn how to use Collections

info --> Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 * Photo collections

more collection info --> How I use Lightroom?s Collections | Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider

Lightroom doesnt save actuall copies of photo edits, it just saves the information of the edits and puts that info into a different folder. In other words, you can take a certain photo, make copies of it in lightroom and do different edits on them. In your photo folder, you will still have the single photo and it will appear unedited unless you view it in lightroom. In order to make the edits permanent you have to save as (called export in lr) a jpeg file. Those will appear in the folder of the original picture. This is also why it is important to use the weekly back up function of lightroom and have it saved to another drive incase something goes wrong on your computer. Without the backup, if something happens to your computer, all your edits will be lost on any photo that you didn't save as a jpeg (which can end up taking up a lot of space).

There is a lot to consider when it comes yo managing your digital image assets.

You can spend hours gleaning disjointed bits and pieces from some number of YouTube videos you may or may not discover, or you can get all the info you need in one place:
The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Lightroom doesnt save actuall copies of photo edits, it just saves the information of the edits and puts that info into a different folder. In other words, you can take a certain photo, make copies of it in lightroom and do different edits on them. In your photo folder, you will still have the single photo and it will appear unedited unless you view it in lightroom. In order to make the edits permanent you have to save as (called export in lr) a jpeg file. Those will appear in the folder of the original picture. This is also why it is important to use the weekly back up function of lightroom and have it saved to another drive incase something goes wrong on your computer. Without the backup, if something happens to your computer, all your edits will be lost on any photo that you didn't save as a jpeg (which can end up taking up a lot of space).

thank you, that was very informative

Julieanne has some helpful tutorials:

Last edited by a moderator:
Look up "Phlearn". Absolutely awesome videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back