Lightroom technique & VW Shoot

GwagDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gwagdesigns.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ever since i discovered this technique described in Scott Kelby's Blog http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/1094 That uses Lightroom to achieve a look similar to Lucis Art, I have been using it one a majority of my Car shoots, mainly because of its speed and easily customizable. Heres the breakdown of the following shots and their adjustments. Its amazing what can be done with lightroom and I have used it more and more.

For all images, they are about at this range, +/- 5
Recovery - 100
Fill Light - 100
Blacks - 60
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 100
Clarity - 100
Vibrance - 100
Saturation -80

275315925_k4UT9-Lcopy4.jpg

275315925_k4UT9-Lcopy5.jpg

275315925_k4UT9-Lcopy3.jpg

275315925_k4UT9-Lcopy6.jpg

275315925_k4UT9-Lcopy2.jpg

275315925_k4UT9-Lcopy.jpg

I'd like to see a before shot of your photos here. I tried the technique on some old photos of my bike (that I no longer have) and they turned out more "cartoony" than your examples. The photo I tried it on was from an old 2 mp full automatic camera though. Also, the photo was taken in mid-day very bright sun. That's why I'd like to see your before shots.

The effect is pretty cool. Your photos of the VW are great. Looks like you had a lot less harsh mid-day sun than I had. As soon as the weather breaks (this week hopefully), I plan on doing the full washing, polish, wax detailing job on the vehicle and going out for some "auto photography technique" practice.

the best part is you could easily save those settings as a preset, and then it's only one click away...

I could do with a little less vignetting on those, and maybe a little more saturation, but I think they look pretty great. Nice work!

As much as I'm not a VW fan I think they look very good! :p

My only critique would be I think your vignette is a tiny bit too big.

Yeh, i have a preset, which is why some have a bigger vignette than others, but i was in a rush to get them on my webpage :D ill try and get some before and after shots up in the next day or so

I posted a quick video i made on how to do the effect here, check it out

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks alot for posting this up.. I just tried it out on a couple pics and it works great. Here's one of mine that I used it on, not quite as good as yours but I think it looks pretty rad..

car.jpg

Most reactions

Back