Lightroom | Two computers?

sscarmack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would be the best solution to running Lightroom on multiple computers?

I already keep all my files stored on an external drive which is then duplicated on a RAID drive just in case any crashes. So I have three copies at all time.

Now the catalogs and all the lightroom files are stored locally on the computer, if these files are moved to an external, I'm sure speeds would be affected greatly? Unless you have a really fast external.

I'd like to hear your guys thoughts about running multiple set ups while staying seamless without having to constantly update one catalog.

Lightroom can't access the same catalog from 2 computers at the same time - A major limitation of Lightroom.

Have you considered a low end NAS server?

What is network-attached storage (NAS)? - Definition from WhatIs.com

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I read through that really quick, but thats only for a Local Network?

There are times I take my laptop on location, or even when I'm at work, etc.

I would need access no matter where I'm at, while my iMac is stationary.
You asking for a solution but read it quickly? Do you have something else in mind? I mean, I gave you viable, relatively simple solution that can serve you well.

Another solution is a cloud based service if you don't want to go through setting up and configuring hardware. Of course, there are ongoing fee's for that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

For what it is worth a person I know well, and is honest as the day is long ran into the same problem you describe. Either buy a second copy (he owned one) and install on that second computer, or install a second pirate copy. I do not support pirating in any way shape or form, BUT Adobe's greed almost forces the little guy into that arena at times.

CC lets you install on two devices under the one licence so its less of an issue with that. And you can change your second device as often as you like.

As far as I know there are issues with using lightroom with files off a server, and what you probably need to do is move catalogues if you want to work between two machines.

I think I found a solution.

Dropbox.

I have the pro version for work, which I believe is 1tb of storage.

Catalogs are stored in dropbox, which keeps them on your local hard drive, and any time the catalog is updated, dropbox will sync it.

Testing now.

Dropbox.

Catalogs are stored in dropbox, which keeps them on your local hard drive, and any time the catalog is updated, dropbox will sync it.

Testing now.

But that will still jam up your computer eventually

Dropbox.

Testing now.

But that will still jam up your computer eventually
Jam up how?

A catalog file is only is only 2gb, and you can adjust how big you want your previews files, which mine is set to 20gb. My whole Lightroom folder is only 12gb. I have roughly 60k+ photos right now.

And all my RAWs are stored on a 4tb external and then copied to an 8tb RAID back up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back