Lightspeed, it's spiders and bees.. Oh mY!!!!

makes me want to start practicing through the week with p&s instead of waiting for the weekend to use my slr.

makes me want to start practicing through the week with p&s instead of waiting for the weekend to use my slr.

Well you should try it, it can be done! How cold is the climate you're in right now? I'm at an advantage, bug season all year round.

practice is always good.. you can practice your composition and lighting skills.. and post those too! Give us even more to C&C! <Evil Grin>!

ISO was 80. More than likely the tight crop and affects of PP, I added some sharpening. I also find if you apply PP, Flickr will have some, even if mild, added noise.

The bee is the best exposure out of the bunch. I am going to say what Gipson is afraid to say. lol
The bee is on the wrong side of the frame. Sometimes rule of thirds doesn't work.
Sometimes you can get the ROF in , with macro, but it doesn't always work that way.
This isn't a landscape and it damn sure aint a portrait. It's a different beast.

Now..........as your friend..........Do not stick things to the right or left of the frame and then think because you followed the rule
that it will work in the final image.
Especially in macro.

The bee is a beautiful exposure. It can be saved.

The bee is the best exposure out of the bunch. I am going to say what Gipson is afraid to say. lol
The bee is on the wrong side of the frame. Sometimes rule of thirds doesn't work.
Sometimes you can get the ROF in , with macro, but it doesn't always work that way.
This isn't a landscape and it damn sure aint a portrait. It's a different beast.

Now..........as your friend..........Do not stick things to the right or left of the frame and then think because you followed the rule
Especially in macro.

My thoughts as well.

Especially in macro.

I was referring ONLY to the fact that it was in focus, and had a good exposure, which compared to a couple of weeks ago.. a phenomenal difference. I wasn't going to mention composition... because IMO, she needs to get CONSISTENT on her exposures and focus first... and then worry about the "other stuff" :) (but good calls anyway!!)

I could always crop it more centered. Just the direction I went with the crop.

The banana spiders are the ones that I have around my house. big bastards.

Great pics!

The banana spiders are the ones that I have around my house. big bastards.Great pics!
Thanks!! They're massive and all over Florida. There was this wedding venue that was beautiful I wanted to use, but it was outdoor and was just covered with these guys. Most of the spiders look way larger in photos then they actually are. But the golden silk orb weaver (aka banana spider) is pretty accurate in size in comparison with the photo.

Angel. In the short time I've been a member of TPF, I can see a vast improvement in your photographs. Well done.

And Lightspeed, after reading your quick dissertation of not following the rule of 3rds for macro photographs, I went back and took a 2nd and more careful look. You're dead right. I'll have to keep that in mind once the bug season finally gets here in the spring.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back