lightsphere, lumiquest, lightbox, etc,,

tacomadm18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
New question,,,

So I use a canon 430ex II, I don't plan on (the near future) using anything but a hotshoe type of speedlite. I've read lots of info on all the above.... I'm looking for a one type of solution that I can carry with me. I know many may say that you need different tools for different functions,,,, but my question is, what would I get the biggest bang with, that I can carry in my bag,,,,,,

I was thinking of gary fong's lightsphere,,,

thoughts

I've heard good things about the lightsphere, and there's even a collapsable version which takes up WAY less space if you're trying to stay portable. Someone who's used any of these could probably help more but I've seen many use the lightsphere.

New question,,,

So I use a canon 430ex II, I don't plan on (the near future) using anything but a hotshoe type of speedlite. I've read lots of info on all the above.... I'm looking for a one type of solution that I can carry with me. I know many may say that you need different tools for different functions,,,, but my question is, what would I get the biggest bang with, that I can carry in my bag,,,,,,

I was thinking of gary fong's lightsphere,,,

thoughts
Gary... will... love... you... for... adding... to... his... bank... balance. A... DIY... Gary... Fong... lightsphere,,, will... work... just... about... as... well.

DIY Gary Fong Lightsphere

diy gary fong lightsphere - Bing

The lightsphere is not that expensive and it's a good modifier. People who complain about Gary Fong's bank balance are just jealous. Yes, you can make your own. You probably don't want to show up at, say, a wedding, using something that looks as retarded.

I have a Lumiquest mini softbox thing and I don't like it very much.

Fong's lightsphere is iunnecessarily (sp) expensive, I agree. I have this one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prolight-Inverted-Diffuser-System-AF-540FGZ/dp/B001CJDDQQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1282508447&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Prolight Inverted Clear Dome Flash Diffuser System for Canon 550EX, 580EX, 580EX…[/ame] in the clouc version, and I absolutely love it. Works just as well as the Fong (I have used both), and it comes with the 'amberdome'. You get the diffuser, cloud dome, and amberdome for less than Fong asks for the amberdome alone.

I own a lumiquest LQ107 softbox. It works very well for what it's supposed to be used for. The Lumiquest and Fong diffusers are used for two different things, however and you will have to know when to use what. The Fong knock-off does work well as a general diffuser as well, but for portraits, I think the softbox will work better. That being said, I dont think the mini-softbox will do much at all for you and the softbox III will not allow your flash to meter. The LQ-107 is a great compromise.

You have to know what you want the most. The Lumiquest softboxes will stow away easily, they fold flat. If you get the Promax version of the Fong diffuser, you could most likely afford to get both and slip the softbox into a back or other type of large pocket if you dont want to carry a bag.

My suggestion would be to get the Promax knock-off and the lumiquest LQ-107. Just bite the bullet. Youll be glad you did.
Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back