Lime Hawkmoth

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my sisters newish boyfriend's mother has had to give up mothing and thus had her Robinson trap up for sale - so now I've got a new mothtrap!

And my gods does it catch moths (the bulb is also super bright). I had 6 elephant hawkmoths, a polar hawkmoth and:

29044072068_54fd483cd6_o.jpg

Lime Hawkmoth (Mimas tiliae)

It is possible to tell male from female and I believe this is a male, I think I also mucked up my white balance a little in editing as when I look at it now it doesn't seem as green as it should be (might have to muck around with that and fix that and re-upload it later)

And those were just the larger moths, there were dozens of others. So many I was overwhelmed at trying to get photos, esp as many of the moths with the windy warm weather, were very inclined not to hang around and would fly right off. So I did a handful and I've covered the trap over now. I'll open it up and let the rest go this evening.

I remember one year on holiday as a kid in a campsite in France there was a massive hatch of deaths head hawkmoths, they were coming out of the ground everywhere and we were quite facinated by them! Cool shot.

My thanks all :)

Pete that sounds very neat! Not seen a deathshead yet but hope too!

42016930775_e4a4341d03_o.jpg

Wings raised, shaking and in a few moments it was up and off!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back