Lines to set horizontal for this shot..? or just leve it as it is your opinion please

Raincheck

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi forum,

A few members already highlighted this issue in my shots, the horizon or an imaginary horizons.
I have used this photo as an example because it obvious how to set a horizon for a landscape type of photo.

I would like to ask the forum about this, I am more going for the look and feel than the written rule(s) about how to present your work.
If I look at the responses I got on Facebook for the once that are technically perfect I get lesser likes and responses.
The once that are just how it looks, technically not by the book get far more and I mean really far more positive comments and likes.

So what’s going on here, are we as photographers being held back by the rule book, cos if you don’t you are gonna be burned to the ground
by the so called experts but loved by the general public.

Please tell me how would you line up the shot below, use line #1(top), line #2(mid) or line #3(bottom)...

313608_10150890766555322_425924260321_21253649_771112589_n.jpg

Thanx in advance,

Rain...

Ps. English isn’t my native language so apologies upfront for any silly grammar or spelling mistakes.
(revering to a photo previously posted called Autumn (did I spell it correct?) )

Last edited:
I wouldn't set either of your horizontal lines to horizontal. I would set the vertical to the right of the one you have marked in red to vertical to establish a 'level' horizon.

Yes, I know this would make your top horizontal level, but I worded it like that because I think the verticality of the light against the dark at the point I mentioned would stand out the most in that shot if it were off.

TylerH,

I would go for your suggestion to set the vertical line, I am a 3D designer and deal with perspectives all the time sometimes it's mathematically perfect but it just doesn’t feel right.

Thanks for your reply hope more will follow to highlight this area that's simple to fix in your shots.

I'm going to suggest the top line. I think it could work with either with different cropping.

Another 3D guy here:)

You know what, when I get home later today I will post the same photo 3 times with the different line-ups maybe it helps to visualize it better.
Pen I work with Autodesk 3dsmax & Maya I use my camera for textures and product modeling front, side and top view as i don’t do the 3D scanning yet!

Vertical is often more right than horizontal is.

I always choose a vertical line over a horizontal line to straighten a photo when a good vertical is available in a scene.

Most reactions

Back