linux help!!!!

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to be able to dual boot windows xp and linux, so I got the ubuntu linux disc from a friend and we installed it on my external hard drive to make sure nothng happens to my main drive and reformats or anything. So everythingn seems to be going fine and then when we restart the computer I don't get the screen where you choose what operating system to run it just loads up xp automatically. Does anyone know why? Is it because of the external drive? Is there a way to set it so it seaches the external drive for an OS before starting up windows?

Thanks

Sounds like you need to install a bootloader. Grub or Lilo will do the trick. If you do not want to take the chance on over writing your MBR (Master Boot Record) that windows creates you can also install the bootloader onto a 3.5" floppy. Other wise youll need to install it over windows default MBR.

It will not mess up your windows install by doing this, but if you ever decide to ditch linux then you will be stuck with the boot loader that points to windows and nothing which is kinda pointless. Or you can format your computer and reinstall windows. Best bet is to just put it onto a floppy if you are in experienced with doing it.

Most reactions

Back