Linux vs. Windows

Oldschool92'

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nope sorry this isn't a review. Those of you who have used or currently use Linux, what do you think about it? And yes I have googled it just didn't care for the reviews and wanted to hear from everyday people.

About all I know is that most of it's programs are free or low cost and that it has way less viruses compared to Windows. Only because it isn't as widely used.

I have, through the years, attempted to use Linux a number of times. These days, Linux is actually fantastically easy and user friendly for most day-to-day tasks, and has a massive library of free software.

It's pretty likely that your built in hardware (including wireless) will be supported in the latest release of Ubuntu, but there is a lot of peripheral hardware that might not work easily.

That brings me to its Achilles heel: While it's easy to do most things, if something goes wrong, or you need to install something unsupported, be prepared for a big, long headache.

If you're seriously considering it, I'd urge you to go download Ubuntu and live boot the DVD. This will let you try it out as long as you like without disturbing your Windows installation.

The final word for me, though, is that while I have tried it a great number of times, I have never stuck with it for more than a couple months at a time, because so much software that I frequently use like the official MS Office or games just aren't available.

If your not going to use OSX which IMHO is the best Unix installation available at the moment then stick with windows.

Only because it isn't as widely used.
I would hardly say that that's the only reason...

Windows, the default settings leave you wide open...linux, you're protected with the defaults. Windows could be as secure as Linux or Mac, if they wanted to.

Windows only updates Microsoft programs, Linux updates everything on your system...

(EDIT - Linux here, if you didn't figure that out.)

EDIT
No, I am not an 'expert' or 'engineer' or anything like that... Just a 'regular guy'. For the most part, everything I have had to do was easier on Linux than Windows. Sometimes finding out 'how' to do something is a little harder and requires better google-fu, but after that - it's all been simple as hell.

Last edited:
Some things are harder, some things are easier.

Other than software availability, that's about it...

Find some old crap computer in the closet (I'm sure you have one) and put ubuntu on it. Try it out for a while, see what you you think...

Linux is much secured when compared to Windows...but linux is not for newbies he/she should have good knowledge on how it works..as you know linux support only few extensions (it wont support .exe). I am a newbie on this and I am still learning stage...known is a drop unkwn is ocean :)

So I downloaded the version that can run alongside my windows like you recommended clarinet and it's a lot better then I expected! I think once I get used to it completely I'll make the switch to it and put Windows behind me.

And Josh you were definitely right about somethings being harder and somethings being easier. Found that out a lot as soon I started using it ha!

Everything Josh said, except he left out a very simple option for new users to test it on their windows machine: Some popular Linux distros have portable versions, like Red Hat and Linspire. It's an OS on a bootable DVD that you just put in and re-boot. It boots to Linux without affecting your Windows install. When you take the disk out and reboot you're back to old-faithful.

I've got a couple old boxes running Linux and it's cool for what it is. It doesn't support most of the CAD/CAM software I use so it's not my main OS.

And Josh you were definitely right about somethings being harder and somethings being easier. Found that out a lot as soon I started using it ha!
First time I had to format a USB drive was interesting, lol.

You can't just right-click on it like you can in Windows...

The biggest issue for me has been getting other crap (printers, scanners, etc) to work. From my limited experience with that, as long as it's HP or Epson - it's easy. If it's anything else, you have a lot of googling to do, lol.

It's looking like I'm going to have to buy this to get my printer working, which is cheaper than a new printer (and I like my iP5200) so I'll probably get it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back