List of quality yet relatively cheap macro lenses

jdvyner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone new to the forum here. I am currently a photo student. I have a canon rebel xs and I am in the market for a macro lens. Are there macros that you all would recommend. thanks guys

Hmm ... I have used many different third party macro lenses ... even rebranded ... and I have not encountered one that is "bad".

What is "cheap" ... what's your budget ?
Are you looking at new or would you consider used ?

I do not own this lens, but the reviews I read are not bad at all for the price.

Vivitar Lens: Primes - Vivitar 100mm f/3.5 AF Macro - SLRgear.com!

It is made by Cosina. And you maybe able to find them in different brands such as Viviatars, Promaster, Phoenix ....

I think it is out of production, however, I saw them on ebay or craigslist once in awhile. The lowest one I saw for EOS body was around $75 used. Usually it is around $100 to $130 in ebay now. Make sure the lens shipped with the 1:1 macro diopter. With that diopter, the lens is 1:1 macro lens.

Google "cosina 100mm f/3.5 macro", you should find a lot of other reviews. flickrs also has groups about that lens. You can find some sample photos there.

For dedicated macro lens wise, I think that is the best bang for the bucks for optical quality. But from the reviews, you can find that most people complaint about the build quality of the lens.

I have both the Sigma AF 50mm f/2.8 EX (non-DG) and the Tokina AT-X (original version) 100mm f/2.8.
I like the longer reach of the Tokina ... but I think the Sigma is the better IQ of the two.
Both I purchased used, the Sigma was lower priced than the Tokina.

Indeed, what is cheap to you, op?

I'm about to purchase the Canon 65mm MP-E before I even have a Canon body! I want the lens that bad. For the images it produces I consider the lens "cheap."

I am looking to spend no more than 200

i'd pick up the kenko tubes, a dedicated macro lens under $200 will either give u crap results or will have focusing too short to matter.

Most reactions

Back