Little Church in Gravenhurst

Bynx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Came upon this little church surrounded by trees. 7 shot HDR.

dy3m9x.jpg

To be honest I don't think the HDR does anything to complement the shot.

The colours of the foliage really distracted me from the church itself. Also, I just don't like HDR, so take my comments as you will :)

Post-processing aside, the *shot* is a wonderful shot, it conveys strong balance with the flanking trees.

HDR has its place...I'm not sure this is it. The shot is nice, as mentioned. I just don't care much for the background trees at all and would rather have more of the church in frame...personal preference perhaps.

Ok here is a bit of brightness and contrast added as well as the original middle shot. You can clearly see the dark shadows of the trees has much more detail, without the shadow over the door filling in. As well there is much more rich detail in the stonework. I dont know what to say to anyone who doesnt like HDR but comes in making comments. Some people just dont like progress.

fv9v9x.jpg

35cmuk8.jpg

I am in no way opposed to progress, I just have a personal distaste for HDR. Your edit, however, improves on the washed-out feeling mentioned. Good job, good shot, etc. :)

Why do you distaste HDR and why are you posting on the HDR board. This photo really has no HDR look so its just a photo. Not sure why you keep mentioning it. If you are going to say that in every photo then don't post in the HDR section

Last edited:
Why do you distates HDR and why are you posting on the HDR board. This photo really has no HDR look so its just a photo. Not sure why you keep mentioning it. If you are going to say that in every photo then don't post in the HDR section

What does distates mean. Could you clarify in english please what you are saying here? I think maybe a language barrier has you confused.

Typo sad your brain couldn't figure that out

Why do you distates HDR and why are you posting on the HDR board. This photo really has no HDR look so its just a photo. Not sure why you keep mentioning it. If you are going to say that in every photo then don't post in the HDR section

What does distates mean. Could you clarify in english please what you are saying here? I think maybe a language barrier has you confused.

It's quite clear what he/she is saying. No need to be a jerk about someone not speaking/typing perfect English.

The version with the contrast added helps the brickwork's appearance considerably.

I replied to a thread that I saw in the active threads area of the website, unaware that it was in the HDR section. Regardless, I am unaware of a rule stating that I'm not allowed to have a negative opinion on an HDR picture in the HDR section.

I would like to know why you distaste HDR. I wasn't trying to be rude but I find a lot of haters of HDR post more in HDR sections then HDR people.

I find it odd to hate High dynamic Range since this is what camera companies strive to achieve in their sensors. Such a odd thing to hate

I would understand the statement better if you said you hate what people do with HDR

Ah, I mistook you for being rude. My apologies.

I dislike HDR because, although a neat effect, people overuse it, ruin perfectly good shots with it, and generally don't understand how to implement it to make a shot better. I also don't like the colours on most HDR shots as I see them to be unrealistic to the moment.

So yes, I suppose saying I dislike what people DO with HDR would be more to the point I was trying to make. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Ah, I mistook you for being rude. My apologies.

I dislike HDR because, although a neat effect, people overuse it, ruin perfectly good shots with it, and generally don't understand how to implement it to make a shot better. I also don't like the colours on most HDR shots as I see them to be unrealistic to the moment.

So yes, I suppose saying I dislike what people DO with HDR would be more to the point I was trying to make. Thanks for clearing that up :)

That is strictly your opinion.
People who choose to use any editing program to their own liking is absolutely acceptable. If you don't like their creativity, well don't comment about it.
I have seen some HDR images that are very different, and I like some and do not like others...but it is always the creator's choice how he/she finishes the image.

Bynx
I like the second edit much better, it also reduced the halos where the trees met the sky.

The second one looks better to me, but they both seem a little washed out. Whatever processing you did seems to have taken away a lot of contrast.

Most reactions

Back