little waterfall

rokstomper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is a little waterfall that is off of Holcom creek trail in the Big Bear California area. I had no tripod so it was shot hand held at 1/15 f32. I guess I need a neutral density filter.
I would appreciate some C&C as I have never shot a waterfall before.

waterfall by rokstomper, on Flickr

ND filter and tripod are a must when doing these. Get a more direct angle, just off of center, and well below eye level. I judge the shutter speed based on how fast the water is moving, you dont want to slow or the water just burns the image out and you get a white blanket. I usually take 3 or 4 to see how much texture I like in the water and then go with that and adjust accordingly. Looks like you got the idea though.

The first rule of making a shot is to control the light. That means waiting for better light. Exposure is exposure. Compositionally there's nothing interesting here. The image should communicate why the subject is great, and you do that with storytelling elements like light and composition.

Thanks for the advice, I shot this still sitting in the backseat of the vehicle and literally only had 15 seconds to take a picture before my dad took off again so I quickly went to the slowest shutter speed I could. I will take your advice for future waterfalls.

You will want a polarizer more than an ND, it will do wonders.

Thanks, I need to invest in some of each. I have been wanting a polarizer for a while now.

This was probably a prettier scene in person than captured in this particular photograph. The only thing that might be interesting to me is the waterfall itself. If you shot it at a longer focal length, there might be something of interest there. Looks like the rock it's sliding down has some visual interest.

This was probably a prettier scene in person than captured in this particular photograph. The only thing that might be interesting to me is the waterfall itself. If you shot it at a longer focal length, there might be something of interest there. Looks like the rock it's sliding down has some visual interest.
Yes it was better in person and I agree that the waterfall it's self is the only visually interesting point of the photo. Maybe one day I can go to some better locations and hopefully get some shots close to as good as the ones I've seen you post. I don't think it will happen though because you have some amazing work Rotanimod.

Yes it was better in person and I agree that the waterfall it's self is the only visually interesting point of the photo. Maybe one day I can go to some better locations and hopefully get some shots close to as good as the ones I've seen you post. I don't think it will happen though because you have some amazing work Rotanimod.

Thanks man!

Sure it will. 50% of landscape photography is having a pretty landscape to point a camera towards. So just find some stuff in your area and point a camera at it. Ill admit, I'm lucky to live in the Pacific Northwest. What state/area do you live?

I live in Southern California but in the hi desert. There's not much water flowing here especially during the summer months when temps average around 100 F or higher. There is snow run off in spring and the mountains aren't far away but there just isn't much for landscapes in general around hear.

I typed in "Southern California" in 500px search and here are the results.

Maybe you can get some ideas for places/things to shoot:

500px / Search

I live in Southern California but in the hi desert. There's not much water flowing here especially during the summer months when temps average around 100 F or higher. There is snow run off in spring and the mountains aren't far away but there just isn't much for landscapes in general around hear.

Flicker maps can be helpful in finding places to go shoot.

Flicker maps can be helpful in finding places to go shoot.
Thanks, I like finding more tools on the internet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back