Live Concert photography..

KatieOkieDokie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone on here has ever done any live concert photography? I went to a local show last night with every intent on trying it out.. however pretty much sucked! Probably because I'm really new at this and probably biting off more than I can chew, and I was SCARED TO DEATH of the crowd! Either I couldn't get close enough to the stage (and was way too short to see over anyone), or I was scared to death of being slammed into and taken down.

So does anyone on here do live photography for concerts/shows? If so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Yes. :biggrin:

I actually shot at a venue that was a stop on the Hard Drive tour last night. Rev Theory, Saliva, and some other bands played. :sillysmi:

Anyway... it's hard to offer any tips without seeing examples of your work to specifically comment on. It would help us if you could post a few examples. :sillysmi:

If you do a search, you will find a number of people here who do. In fact, erose does a hell of a lot. If you want tips and advice, you need to tell us what you have in terms of gear. It's possible what you have may not be suitable. When I was going to a lot of concerts, we had these things called 35mm SLR's. The fundamentals haven't changed, but again, without knowing what gear you have, it's hard for me to know where to begin.

Edit: Speak of the Devil and the Devil appears. Hi Em!

Make friends with the crowd around you and let them know you're there to photograph and if they're cool people, they'll make sure you escape relatively unscathed...that or shoot in a venue that has a proper barrier.

I shot a Shadows Fall concert with no barrier and everyone was cool about not interferring with my photography.

If the lighting is low, a fast lens is indispencable unless you are close enough to use flash, if it is permitted.

The following image was shot @ ISO1600 with a f1.4 lens set to f2.0 & 1/80s - no flash allowed.

P1050780sm.jpg

I usually take photos at previously filmed concerts that are being projected onto a stage. Never done any "live" concert photography though.

If you're too scared of getting hurt maybe you should keep your ass at home and not worry about "live photography"

Bold words from a troglodyte.

Actually, I just happen to have an expansive vocabulary. I wasn't aware "troglodyte" was used in D&D. Haha

Most reactions

Back