Live view and shutter actuations

Drake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was thinking what was the influence of using live view on the camera shutter count. It seems the camera uses the shutter a lot in LV, just to take one photo:

• shutter opens when turning the LV mode on
  • shutter closes to enable focusing (only when using phase detection), although this could be just the mirror flipping, but I think it still uses the shutter
  • shutter opens again
  • shutter closes when you press the shutter release
  • shutter opens to start the exposure
  • shutter closes to end the exposure
  • shutter opens again to return to LV mode
  • shutter closes when you leave the LV mode

That's 4 full shutter cycles just to take one shot, 3 cycles if you use contrast detection AF or manual focusing for shooting one photo, and a minumum of two if you use contrast detection AF/MF and take more than just one shot.

I am curious if this is reflected in the shutter actuations counter. Most of the actuations are not used to take the actual exposure, but the shutter curtains are moving anyway. I know most of us don't use the LV mode all the time. I don't use it at all. But when you buy a used body, you don't really know how it was used. I am not saying the shutter counter could state 3 times the number of photos taken, but if it really doesn't take it into account, it's not accurate enough anymore. Something to think about.

I thought that was just the mirror flip up and down.

I was under the impression entering and exiting live view were not counted towards actuation and it would only be if you took a photo in live view that it would increment the shutter count

Often people mistake the noise the camera makes as the shutter when it is actually mirror slap noise.

Often people mistake the noise the camera makes as the shutter when it is actually mirror slap noise.
I know the noise when you press the shutter button is not the mirror slapping, it's much different. I have just decided to take a closer look, only to find out... it's not the shutter either. When I press the shutter release in LV mode nothing seems to happen inside, despite the silent noise very similar to the shutter curtains. Weird.

Take the lens off and see what's happening in there. It should be fairly obvious if it's the mirror, or mirror and shutter with no lens...

Most reactions

Back