Live View changes my settings?

xpurpleblob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I bought a d7000 yesterday and I noticed that while in aperture priority mode and I change it to live view, it changes the shutter speed of the camera? Also, the live view seems really slow taking pictures

Yes. Even if you don't use Live View and look in the viewfinder instead, as light levels change with a new scene, as detected by the camera's reflected light meter A mode will change the shutter speed.

Also noteworthy is that when the camera is in Live View - the main mirror is up and blocks light from the lens from reaching the the reflected light meter sensor, and from reaching the phase-detection auto focus module in the bottom of the camera.

So even though its resting on a tripod i should expect it to change? I mean it doesn't change dramatically just an increment

KmH is right on the money. If you want to watch it change in large increments -- try BIF or birds-in-flight especially in marshy areas. When the camera goes from the lower darker marsh area higher into a blue sky i can lose two to three stops of shutter speed. I have dramatically increased the "keep" ratio of photos by shifting from Manual mode (my preference) to aperature mode when shooting BIF. Enjoy and have fun.

So even though its resting on a tripod i should expect it to change? I mean it doesn't change dramatically just an increment

I am not sure about Nikon cameras, but I know on Canon cameras, there is a little square that you can move around the image while live view is enabled. This is where it bases its metering off of. So chances are, if you have something similar, it's just your camera metering a slightly different portion of the scene.

........... Also, the live view seems really slow taking pictures

Because the mirror is up and the shutter is open when in LV. The shutter closes, then must be reset in order to take the image.

Forger LV unless you have time and patience to kill. I think it could be useful for video but can you tell if your image is sharp in live view, too many things can go wrong.

But its not a new scene. I mean that when the camera is facing at one scene indoors and lets just say it has a shutter speed of x, when it changes to live view on that exact same scene it has a shutter speed of x-y

I'll step in and say... Live view is just crumby... Period. I never use it. It's painful. My D5000 has a really cool articulating LCD screen that would be even cooler if live view wasn't so shot. Honestly, live view isn't event that great on my D600 either. Just pretend it doesn't exist for stills.

But its not a new scene. I mean that when the camera is facing at one scene indoors and lets just say it has a shutter speed of x, when it changes to live view on that exact same scene it has a shutter speed of x-y

I know it's not a new scene and I never said it was. I said that (on canons) there is a box that is superimposed on the LV screen that is where the camera is metering. I was simply stating that if Nikons are the same way, you can easily go from evaluative metering through the viewfinder to essentially spot metering in live view. Thus changing your shutter speed.

In live view it uses uses the main sensor rather than the metering array to do the metering, it's a different mechanism so could well get a different result from exactly the same scene.

Edit: which was just what Tyler said, Doh!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back