Living in USA/Canada pros and cons?

... and if you look at the southern tip of Canada (in the province of Ontario), it's as far south as Northern California.

What country that shares borders of the US, and not including Mexico, is directly South of US territory?

Yup, you guessed it. Canada.
At least that one little point in southern Ontario. It's just a short 10 mile drive South for me.
But I wouldn't compare our weather to northern California especially in the winter.

In Eureka, California .. it's raining and 58
here in Detroit / Windsor Canada it's 23 (feels like 8) F (-5 C feels like -13.4C ) and snowing 1-3 inches (2.5 cm to 7.6cm)

California is warmed by the ocean.
Michigan gets the cold air coming south from Canada.

If you happen to live in Portugal, then northern-ocean side California may be more similar to you.
If you live in switzerland, then we have the Rockies and Appalachian mountains, but no replacement for the Alps.

It all depends upon what you are looking for in the Economy, housing (metro / urban / country) cost of living, culturally, and everything else.

Last edited:
I often think about where I would relocate to if I was completely free from ties and I have narrowed down my first plausible perhaps-home - Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand.
Decent climate, three English language book stores, two universities, one medical school, good number of expatriates, camera club, fair tourist trade so English has good penetration, great cost of living (for me) and reasonably close to the real country and convenient to both Myanmar and Laos.

For example 3 bedroom house furnished rental $670/month - this is upper middle class.
For $1800/month one can get mansion.
Retirement visa requirements are trivial.
Entrees at decent restaurants are $3-4 so $10 for a big restaurant meal.
In 2012, a couple wrote a blog page on the cost of living luxuriously in Chiang Mai - $1372 for 2 people per month

looks good to me.
house.jpg

I was hearing about all the snow Western NY is getting. It's always a little strange to me to remember how big NY actually is. I hear "New York" and I think I should also be affected, but downstate is a long way from that weather y'all are getting. It's cold today but bright and sunny.

Wow. That's a lot of snow.

As long as there's a way to stay warm and have hot food and coffee, then I really don't mind the world shutting down because of the snow. It's an enforced pause that I think everyone should take advantage of. We always complain about how busy we all are, and yet when we have a chance to stay home, catch our breath, and just be for a little while, then we complain about not being able to do anything.

For those who have health conditions or don't have the means to stay warm and fed, then they are obviously devastating.

Wow. That's a lot of snow.

As long as there's a way to stay warm and have hot food and coffee, then I really don't mind the world shutting down because of the snow. It's an enforced pause that I think everyone should take advantage of. We always complain about how busy we all are, and yet when we have a chance to stay home, catch our breath, and just be for a little while, then we complain about not being able to do anything.

For those who have health conditions or don't have the means to stay warm and fed, then they are obviously devastating.
I couldn't agree with you more! We want for nothing here. Plenty of food, coffee, and drinks. It's nice to be stuck at home (not that I am) and it's a great excuse to not have to do anything. Unplugging from everything outside of family. ;)

Ah. Lake-effect snow. I could be wrong, but I think Watertown gets it pretty bad most years. I remember coming home one year after a business trip to Illinois, Iowa, and Ohio, and the road back lead through Watertown. I think they were organizing convoys of cars/trucks with a set of plows in front of each convoy. If the convoy was too long, the guys at the back were getting more and more stuff to drive through.

But what is happening in Buffalo right now is brutal. Getting a whole winter's amount of snow in a couple of days. Ugh.

You could do what I did. Live in the U.S. and marry a Canadian :)
hey... actually... not a bad idea...

Do you happen to know a successful, rich Canadian man who will marry me, find me a perfect job, give me a car or two, a house and do everything I ask him to do.... and not ask anything in return? ;)

Get in line! :)

The population in the state of California is more than the entire country of Canada. Maybe the percentages of finding that man is better if you move to California. Of course the chance of finding a no good snake in the grass increases also. :)

Soooo..... what are the chances of a baby boom in roughly nine months???

I ran to the store today and they were all out of adult beverages so I'd have to guess that the month of August will have an increase in babies in the area. Lol! Not here though we have a 7 month old and aren't gonna start another one that soon. ;)

I ran to the store today and they were all out of adult beverages so I'd have to guess that the month of August will have an increase in babies in the area. Lol! Not here though we have a 7 month old and aren't gonna start another one that soon. ;)

Already sold out, eh? So that baby boom is going to be even bigger! :laughing:

I saw on the news that all the snow was a strip south of Buffalo. In certain parts of downtown they've just got a sprinkle of snow. Interesting seeing those clouds rolling in as a stream.

Most reactions

Back