Living Root Bridges

bc_steve

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevedinicol.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Meghalaya (state in India) is one of the rainiest places in the world. Conventional bridges get washed away. Still needing to cross the streams, the locals figured out a pretty ingenious way of making bridges that last something like 500 years. It takes about a lifetime to create one though.

They use the roots of a local tree, and make them grow across to the other side of the stream. They end up with bridges that are very strong and long lasting. Very impressive.

I find the forest one of the more difficult places to photograph, especially when you get patches of light and patches of shadow. And it can be quite hard to avoid a cluttered background. Anyways, my point is I found these pretty challenging!

Too bad it was the dry season. Running water would have been nice but not a whole lot I can do about that...

#4 -- I need to find my map so I can get the name of this village

#5 -- trying to capture the scale of things. It had been a while since I'd seen a large area of relatively undisturbed forest

Neat bridge, awesome shots in your flickr set.

interesting. I like interesting..

Those are awesome photos! :)

I fully agree with everyone so far. Your posts of India are going to make me add another item near the top of my bucket list.

Awesome....thanks for sharing.

Great stuff, you've got a good eye.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back