Local band and Behind-The-Scenes Gif animations

Dubious Drewski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So a band in my town saw the cheesy portraits I did with my buddies a while back and they wanted the same thing for themselves. They're rockers, so the idea of having cheesy serious portraits as their album cover/ promo poster is hilarious. I got them to dress in knitted sweaters and scarves. My landlord just happened to be renovating a room in my house on the day I had planned to shoot these photos, so naturally, I jumped on that opportunity!

I also included a couple of animated gifs to show my workflow. I want to show you guys what I start with. It ain't nearly as pretty as the finished product.
3307752626_ea1452b197_o.jpg

The process:
together01_animation.gif

3306923167_1e32d0cb23_o.jpg

The process:
together02_animation.gif

3306923667_fd82593522_o.jpg

The Process:
widefun01_animation.gif

4. Just for fun. I was shooting for a serious pose, like that one of Queen. But this ended up being the best shot of that attempt. Why not, it's very expressive.
3307051243_3da7673b96_o.jpg

So how does my workflow compare to your guys method? Do you guys rely as heavily on the post work as I do?

Nice idea with the animated before to after GIFs...I'm surprised that isn't more popular on tutorials and Photoshop sites etc.

I don't think your editing it too intrusive...the only thing I saw that I would even consider heavy editing...is changing the color/tone of their shoes. The rest just looks like basic adjustments and a little dodge/burn. For the style of shots that you creating...I think your process looks pretty good.

wide angle + bald guy in the middle = conehead

i like the horizontal shot of the guys heads, but the lighting is too hard on the left guys face

Well Mike, I agree the "shoes" were a noticeable change. But the reason they were changed was because they weren't shoes at all, but socks! Socks didn't look so great in the photo, so I blacked them out.

I agree about the gifs: I wish more people included them when they posted photos, it would be so educational.

Adam: Thank you very much for the feedback. Well that last shot was sort of inspired by this famous photo of Queen:
queen.jpg

So the lighting is just how I wanted it. And the wide angle/distortion was their request, they wanted a funky look, so I shot it at 10mm. So the conehead look is not a problem.

Last edited:
The gifs are cool. Is that Duff from Ace of Cakes? LOL

those pictures works for me, all the members of your ban are photogenic :)

Most reactions

Back