Local camera store vs online store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, you are basically saying that a small store will lose money unless he sells at full msrp...

Come on...

I've not said that at all. Not even "basically".

But expecting a small local store to match the prices of a B&H or an Adorama, and be happy with the profit they'll make by doing so, is stupid. B&H and Adorama are likely getting incentive deals for large orders. That's how the manufacturer/retailer relationship works. B&H has deeper pockets, it's as simple as that. They can buy more than the local guys and, as a result, get more favorable payment terms, or a lower price per unit or, I would imagine, sometimes both.

Accusing the local guy of gouging because of how B&H is able to do business is, at best, an ignorant thing to do...

But, in today's competitive market, I don't think a 7 day return policy is reasonable nor is a 15% restocking fee.

Seriously?

I usually know before I walk into a store what I'll be walking out with. When it comes to camera gear, I never impulse buy. Consequently, I have never returned anything I've purchased.

I cannot imagine, though, needing more than seven days to determine whether or not I need to return something. If someone can't figure that out inside of a week, how much time is reasonable?

7-Day maximum exchange periods and 15% restocking fees make it so,so difficult for the people who want to buy expensive gear, then use it for a wedding, a big shoot, or a mini-vacay, and then return it....Steve, you oughtta' know that!!! ;-)

Steve, you are basically saying that a small store will lose money unless he sells at full msrp...

Come on...

I've not said that at all. Not even "basically".

But expecting a small local store to match the prices of a B&H or an Adorama, and be happy with the profit they'll make by doing so, is stupid. B&H and Adorama are likely getting incentive deals for large orders. That's how the manufacturer/retailer relationship works. B&H has deeper pockets, it's as simple as that. They can buy more than the local guys and, as a result, get more favorable payment terms, or a lower price per unit or, I would imagine, sometimes both.

Accusing the local guy of gouging because of how B&H is able to do business is, at best, an ignorant thing to do...

Again, we were talking of double the price...

And the store didn't want to move at all from msrp

True. I hate them. I don't deny it.

If I "hate" someone, regardless of how impractical it is, I don't shop there.

Period.

Bitching about a store, and how you won't spend money there, is simply silly when you then say that you do, in fact, go there...

Period.

Bitching about a store, and how you won't spend money there, is simply silly when you then say that you do, in fact, go there...
Well, there are some places I won't go. I live in a smallish town. You want to buy a movie? That'll be either Hastings (add at least $5 to the price anyone else has it for) or Wal-Mart. I go to Hastings, because they have better service, more in stock, and don't check my ID when I buy a PG-13 movie.

I only go to Wal-Mart when they are the only store in town that has the thing I need. Trust me, I know exactly what you mean about absolutely refusing to shop at stores that you 'hate'. I went about 2 years without entering the Wal-Mart here just on moral grounds, lol. Eventually I broke down. They have got to be one of the most evil corporations on the planet, right behind Monsanto. I hate everything about them, and it makes me sick that they are literally the only option for some products - short of ordering online or wasting a whole day to buy one thing. Sometimes I need stuff 'right now' though...

Have you ever done something that you knew wasn't right?

If you want more than 7 days return policy w/o restocking fee, than go buy your camera gears at Walmart, Target, or Bestbuy. They have good customer services. On the other hand, the teenagers who work in the camera department, they don't know jack. They are there to play with those cameras. Strict return policy is a good thing, so they don't lose money. I think I don't want to pay full price on second hand product.

Period.

Well, there are some places I won't go. I live in a smallish town. You want to buy a movie? That'll be either Hastings (add at least $5 to the price anyone else has it for) or Wal-Mart. I go to Hastings, because they have better service, more in stock, and don't check my ID when I buy a PG-13 movie.

I only go to Wal-Mart when they are the only store in town that has the thing I need. Trust me, I know exactly what you mean about absolutely refusing to shop at stores that you 'hate'. I went about 2 years without entering the Wal-Mart here just on moral grounds, lol. Eventually I broke down. They have got to be one of the most evil corporations on the planet, right behind Monsanto. I hate everything about them, and it makes me sick that they are literally the only option for some products - short of ordering online or wasting a whole day to buy one thing. Sometimes I need stuff 'right now' though...

Have you ever done something that you knew wasn't right?

Sure.

I never had an anxiety attack over having to shop at Wal-Mart, though...

I don't know why I brought up "Walmart." I always shopping for household items, music CDs, blu-rays, video games, toys, snacks, sporting good, and clothing. I wonder, has Walmart ever sold a single DSLR camera? I would be surprised!

Last edited:
They probably actually sell a lot. They don't have much to choose from tough. The Wal-Marts I've been in anyway. They usually have the newest rebel, and whatever the Nikon version of that is, and a few kit lenses. Mostly point & shoot cameras though.

They probably actually sell a lot. They don't have much to choose from tough. The Wal-Marts I've been in anyway. They usually have the newest rebel, and whatever the Nikon version of that is, and a few kit lenses. Mostly point & shoot cameras though.

Expecting Wal-Mart to have anything more than that is silly. A 5D MKIII or an 85mm f/1.2L just aren't items that Wal-Mart's customer base is looking for...

Expecting Wal-Mart to have anything more than that is silly. A 5D MKIII or an 85mm f/1.2L just aren't items that Wal-Mart's customer base is looking for...

When did i say that I expected them to have more than that? I was just saying that is one reason why they are not the best place to buy a camera.

If all you want is the entry level kit, then yeah - they can hook you up. If you want anything else, you probably need to go to an actual camera store.

All righty... since there seems to be a total lack of anything productive or even entertaining being produced in this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back