Local Sports Photography Question

Quentin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

First-off a little background info. I am a Student Photographer/Journalist. Well i haven't taken any photography classes yet, but i am a Student of a college and i take photos if that counts. I am on the school newspaper and take sports photos for the paper. *no payment* I take photos of my College sports(Jr College).

I spend a lot of time out taking photos and dont like my time to go to waste so i share a few photos online with the players.

I cant find a job*big surprise huh* and i dont need to make much money, just SOMETHING. The baseball team has a dad that post photos for free on a website so i doubt i have much of a chance in that area. Here is his website, i think i can take better photos than him, but what do you think?

His Website
http://dragonbaseball.shutterfly.com/

and one of my photos are

25887_1354155246806_1019184002_31105151_5418045_n.jpg

Also....the softball team doesn't have anyone taking photos for them, that i saw anyways and i was wondering how I would go about finding buyers for my photos.

I really need to make some $$$$ so any help is greatly appreciated.

Tips on how to approach a buyer, shoot any tips at all.

And lastly but not least...... here is an image like i have posted above even worth selling?

OH YEA, any photo editing tips are nice as well :p

softball album
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2052175&id=1019184002&l=49659aebc8

Baseball
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2052173&id=1019184002&l=a4f1699d26

I'm sorry but i don't think any of them would sell, most are blurred or out of focus, too much clutter in the background, you have a long way to go
What camera and lens are you using ? I you were trying to compete against me you would be up against a 2 1Dmk2's 300mmF2.8L that can be a 600mmF5.6, 200mmF2.8L, 70-200, and many other lenses shooting sports can get very expensive

I'm sorry but i don't think any of them would sell, most are blurred or out of focus, too much clutter in the background, you have a long way to go
What camera and lens are you using ? I you were trying to compete against me you would be up against a 2 1Dmk2's 300mmF2.8L that can be a 600mmF5.6, 200mmF2.8L, 70-200, and many other lenses shooting sports can get very expensive

well the softball ones are just bad lol, but i had to put them up just in case....but how about the baseball ones?

keep in mind they haven't been cropped, i left them as is for suggestions

I actually was on the other end of your question. I worked for a sports team and paid a photographer to take pictures for my team. I can tell you that, comparing his work to yours, you're a long ways off.

I paid him $50 a game, which he asked for and we were more than willing to pay b/c of the quality of work. Keep practicing and get some really, really solid shots and you'll have a much better shot when asking for $$$'s.

I would never pay money for those.

I would never pay money for those.
:thumbup:
However, there are people out there who just don't know and don't care for the DIFFERENCE in quality thus would pay for it.

Hey,
Just need to get more practice in with your camera. I think you need to work on the focusing a bit for the time being, it is really hard to predict what a person is going to do and then getting the photo of them. Try working in manual focus for a while. Then you can set the focus how you want. Once you get the focusing issue down, I would work on cropping the photos so that there is less clutter. It took me almost a year of constantly taking photos and submitting them to newspapers and websites, so don't expect anything right away.

Just keep practicing

hey, guys you are too doom(((:)grumpy: no good.

Quentin, you are on the right track! I like the shot with the baseball, if you make the ball be in the focus - the picture would be great!

I agree that you have to practise a lot tho, and post your pics in the forum like this for critics.
BUT do not take it too close to heart.....
Keep moving forward.

As one of the members here said: if Mona Lisa were posted here for c&c people would find 20000 flaws))))

ok guys thanks for the help so far ...and sorry about the first links. i saw that facebook was making them look even worse for some reason so i took them down.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back