Lock, stock and smoking cliches

Tim Tucker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
With a slight headache on a glorious but slightly hazy day I was a little uninspired. So I turned left down a single track road and pulled in at a gateway and challenged myself to at least two shots. It was the tripod that saw the rusty padlock first (honest ;)) and set itself up. I just shrugged my shoulders, "ok, if you insist." ;) :)

View attachment 117877

View attachment 117878

Last edited:
Interesting shots. That lock has been there a loooooong time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't blame the tripod. It's very hard to pass up a shot with shadows, texture, mirrored colors and shapes... ;)

Yes, always, and the tripod was one of my better investments. Who says it's not the kit that makes the shot? ;) What I like is that in an inherently 2D subject the shadow from a low and opblique sun allows you essentially to see it from two separate viewpoints at the same time. I can't help noticing that the shadow both balances the image and un-balances the chain. Something that needs a little further exploration maybe. I must admit that I did move the padlock and chain as it was face to the wall and slightly to the right, the rust stain that is the repetition of colour was where it normally rests.

Last edited:
The shallow DoF and blurred background of the second shot ruins it for me. IMO the background is needed in focus to solidify the context of the small tree.
None the less I would add density to the sky (darken it).
Focus (except for the DoF) and exposure are good.

The shot of the lock is technically good but for me the straight on composition lacks tension and drama.

The shallow DoF and blurred background of the second shot ruins it for me. IMO the background is needed in focus to solidify the context of the small tree.
None the less I would add density to the sky (darken it).
Focus (except for the DoF) and exposure are good.

The shot of the lock is technically good but for me the straight on composition lacks tension and drama.

They were shot from a lay-by and I was just trying to force myself to be creative by limiting my options. The first is a cliche and the second is really best described as an exercise. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back