London UK Meetup

Lensmeister said:
St. Pauls.
Big Ben.
Drury Lane Theatres.
Covent Garden.
Soho (not the sleezy area although there are some photo ops there and I do not mean girls etc I mean the Neon lights).
HMS Belfast from the river.
St. James Park.
Buckingham Palace.
Some of Londons old churches.
The Embankment and Millenium wagon wheel.
Tower Bridge and the Tower of London (Expensive to get in).
The pile of rubble that is Wembley stadium to be !

St Paul's Cathedral is good, there's also the millennium (or wobbly) bridge right near it. Blackfriars embankment is also there and there are shots over to London Bridge and the hospital which work quite well.

St Steven's Tower :p and the houses of parliament are good and are only a bit further west. Also, Westminster tube station is space age and very photogenic.

Belfast is quite expensive to get on, and isn't very photogenic IMO.

St James' park is not really worth it IMO.

Buckingham Palace, No 1 London, thingy gate are all good and lead on towards Soho.

Old churches are everywhere - I'm sure we'll stumble across a few. Near blackfriars is St Bride's which is the church all wedding cakes are based upon. It also has a secret crypt, which I reckon I could get us into.

Embankment north side for the wheel, and the wheel itself are a must if the weather is good.

Tower Bridge is OK, but it's tricky to get a clean shot of it these days. It's very near blackfriars as well.

As 90% of these things are near Blackfriars, I would tentatively suggest Blackfriars station for a meeting point. It's got some basic facilities - tea and coffee and sandwiches and there's some great shots to be had from the ends of the platforms. It's also not a very busy station, so there's no chance of missing each other, like at Victoria or London Bridge. It's also on the district and circle line, which is the most useful scenic line.

I would, therefore, suggest making a meet at Blackfriars, taking a few shots from the bridge, doing some around it's embankment, St Paul's, Belfast (from the station), St Bride's church, the millennium bridge, the tower of London (from outside), the mayor's office (just over the river), Tower Bridge (next to Tower of London), the Ravens (if they're out), a Yeoman Warder and then break for lunch at one of my favourite pubs, the Cockpit (no, not dodgy - it's where they used to do cock fighting)

After lunch, I would suggest crossing the river to the millennium wheel if it's good, or crawling around Piccadilly / Soho via Westminster and the houses of parliament if it isn't. London will be BUSY in the west end (Soho) at that time of day, so it's vital to be organised as it's easy to get lost. Then, I think it will be pub time.

Anyone who is driving is welcome to park free at my place and get a 20min (£4) train journey in to London. I'm only just off the M25, so it's a really easy journey if you come over the M25 via Dartford Bridge/Tunnel.

If Corinna and family are coming, I'm happy to come and collect you from Gatwick, but if it's Heathrow, the Heathrow Express is much much quicker than me getting you. Actually, Gatwick has trains direct to Blackfriars anyway.

Let me know DATES now people. Any other things you want to see as well.

Rob

Oh, erm, are you speaking 2006?

Don't think I can even start DREAMING about two flights abroad per year ... so - don't bother about my husband's 50th birthday... choose Aug. 5+6 if that is convenient, and drink to his health there and then, ok?

The next big INTERNATIONAL Meet-Up will only be in 2007 --- I was thinking in those terms... :roll:

im up for a 2007 international meet too! i graduate that year (may/jul) so may be able to make it... depends on if i can wing it bymyself... gotta sell more photos! :lol:
:mrgreen:
allthough it does look very workable... so keep it in mind guys :)

Mansi said:
im up for a 2007 international meet too! i graduate that year (may/jul) so may be able to make it... depends on if i can wing it bymyself... gotta sell more photos! :lol:
:mrgreen:
allthough it does look very workable... so keep it in mind guys :)

Make a book .... Sell a few and go first class ;)

Rob said:
As 90% of these things are near Blackfriars, I would tentatively suggest Blackfriars station for a meeting point. It's got some basic facilities - tea and coffee and sandwiches and there's some great shots to be had from the ends of the platforms. It's also not a very busy station, so there's no chance of missing each other, like at Victoria or London Bridge. It's also on the district and circle line, which is the most useful scenic line.

I would, therefore, suggest making a meet at Blackfriars,

OK Blackfriars travel details.

The Underground is on both the District (Green) and Circle (Yellow) line. MAP HERE It is also on Thameslink rail services.

Thameslink runs from Brighton to Bedford and stops at the larger stations of Gatwick Airport, East Croydon, London Bridge, Kings Cross Thameslink, Luton, Luton Airport Parkway and St. Albans.

rob said:
St James' park is not really worth it IMO.
It can be .. tourist/people spotting for the people photographers. The Squirrels are rather friendly especially if you have nuts for them. and it's right next to Buck' house.

rob said:
Near blackfriars is St Bride's which is the church all wedding cakes are based upon. It also has a secret crypt, which I reckon I could get us into.

Now that WOULD be great.

rob said:
Old churches are everywhere - I'm sure we'll stumble across a few.
Westminster Cathedral at Victoria, St. Patricks in Soho, St. Maragarets near Big Ben are all nice.

Neil.

doubt I'll make it to london but just wanted to suggest Highgate Cemetery in London as a worthwhile photo stop. There is an east and west side...believe the east is open to the public. West side is supposed to be even better and maybe a group entry could be arranged.
they charge photogs a pound to bring a camera in (at least when i was there in 2001...may be more now)
Karl Marx is buried there as well as many other noteables I'm sure.

here's a link:
http://www.londoncemeteries.co.uk/

If you dunno what to see in London - I suggest the old part, the castle, london's bridge and allthe pubs on the south bank :) and... if you wanna take pics of people... the most "interesting" disrict is Hackney :D:D:D:D:D:D:D hehehhe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back