London without cars

Tim Tucker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was reminded of this through another thread, when living in London many years ago I set myself the task of trying to photograph it with the simple restriction that I wasn't allowed to include any cars in the shots. Here are some of the series, all shot on 35mm B&W film with my trusted Nikon F2:

Last edited:
I was reminded of this through another thread, when living in London many years ago I set myself the task of trying to photograph it with the simple restriction that I wasn't allowed to include any cars in the shots. Here are some of the series, all shot on 35mm B&W film with my trusted Nikon F2:

1)
View attachment 116229

2)
View attachment 116225

3)
View attachment 116223

4)
View attachment 116222

5)
View attachment 116230

6)
View attachment 116226

7)
View attachment 116228
What lens are you using? Very nice rendering.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What lens are you using? Very nice rendering.

Easy to answer because I only ever had and used 3 second hand lenses with this camera, I said to myself, "that's it, that's all you're getting, so the rest is up to you."

The first shot is with the Nikkor 35mm f2.8 K, the 6 element design, stopped down (f8+) it's "good for B&W". The others will be with the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 K. This is the early K designation and just before the design was tweaked and remained unchanged up to the 50/1.4D. A very nice lens and still a favourite.

The 'rendering' you refer to though has got a lot more to do with the development than the lenses. They are all FP4 rated at 80ASA and developed in HC110 as per the N-1 development at the back of Ansel Adams' "The Negative", except 5) "Crack Up" which was HP5 at 200ASA. Shot 1) was from near ground level and would have been an orange filter, the others would've been straight or with a yellow filter. Incidentally it's hard to get scans of the negs that are as good as the prints, they all print well and with a grain you need a magnifier to see at 10"x8" something my scanning process really messes up. I don't take credit for this, I just cribbed the notes A. Adams freely passed on. Genius. :icon_salut:

5&6 kudos

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
6 is very nice! Where is it exactly?

It's the pillars of an old railway bridge next to Blackfriars Railway Bridge from the North bank of The Thames. They were in threes but I believe that Blackfriars Railway Bridge has since expanded and swallowed the end one up.

It's the pillars of an old railway bridge next to Blackfriars Railway Bridge from the North bank of The Thames. They were in threes but I believe that Blackfriars Railway Bridge has since expanded and swallowed the end one up.
Cool, I'll try to keep an eye out for it.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Beautifully done series - wonderful photographs.

What a great idea to challenge yourself to be creative. Beautiful series.

I wanna play, but I won't in London until may...

using tapatalk.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back