Lone Lioness

deanlewis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Taken in Tsavo east national park, Kenya, in the early morning light.

Deano

kenedit15-1.jpg

Nice capture, sharp details, it would benefit from a small contrast increase.

It seems every shot on this forum would benefit from a contrast increase. And usually saturation too. Seems things aren't good enough until they're neon with no midtones.

;)

I like the shot as is. I like the natural colors, great early morning lighting, being in mid-step, and a deep enough DOF to keep things sharp but show some blurring further back.

Thumbs up.

It seems every shot on this forum would benefit from a contrast increase. And usually saturation too. Seems things aren't good enough until they're neon with no midtones.

;)

Haha funny;) , that does seem to be the case on this website now that you mention it. Since I haven't been here long enough, I wouldn't know, hence, it was an honest suggestion, and I'm talking small increase (like 5-10 on a +100 scale mind you) nothing that would kill the midtones.

Haha funny;) , that does seem to be the case on this website now that you mention it. Since I haven't been here long enough, I wouldn't know, hence, it was an honest suggestion.

:) That's cool. I wasn't really making fun of you, just the trend that seems to be happening. I think it's because so many people can now be "photographers" if they have the money for the latest and greatest dSLRs regardless of photographic knowledge, and access to photoshop to bump contrast and saturation on every shot, and HDR every other one, including portraits of grandma. Seems the actual content of the shot and its composition is falling behind unnatural sharpness, contrast, and color in importance around here.

Either way, I like the content of this shot. Maybe a very slight contrast boost would help, but it looks nice and natural to me as is. :thumbup: Honestly things that minute can come down to like, the quality of your monitor, and obviously just personal taste. Sorry if I pigeon-holed you into the group I was making fun of.

Don't worry about it, no apology necessary. I noticed the winky ;) I generally don't post process my shots unless something is really bugging me about them. I've noticed people like to sharpen even portraits around here, I thought they were supposed to be be a little soft.

I love the lighting in this one. And you really get a sense of the grace, speed and strength they have, just from the way the lioness is sauntering along with no fear.

I take it you were on a safari for this? Isn't it amazing how the lions have the whole Savannah to themselves, yet they'll come right up to the wheeltracks that the safari vehicles use?

Because of the lighting on this I don't feel it needs a contrast boost at all, I think its really nice as is.
I don't think that anyone with a DSLR can be a photographer either, I've got one, so maybe I should drop out of my photography degree at university? I don't need that if I have a DSLR right?
I do agree that way too many people rely on post processing these days, but it was the same with film, you can still adjust contrast and tones etc with film images.
The greatest quote I ever heard was "The most expensive camera in the world is not going to tell you where you should be pointing it"
Composition and exposure is the major part of photography.

Honestly things that minute can come down to like, the quality of your monitor, and obviously just personal taste.

You're right, on this computer, it doesn't seem like it needs more contrast even though the other computer is newer with a far superior monitor and as far as I know is properly calibrated.

I've got one, so maybe I should drop out of my photography degree at university? I don't need that if I have a DSLR right?

I think he was being sarcastic, he put "photographer" in quotations.

I have a question for the OP, which programme did you use to crop/resize that the image retained the EXIF data, camera model, and focal length? Whenever I do anything in photoshop it cuts out all that.

Great depth of field! Also the lighting is perfect. The sidelighting makes this shot uber dramatic and gives it great volume. This is an amazing capture and it looks very real; unedited. [Don't increase the contrast] i like it the way it is.

I have a question for the OP, which programme did you use to crop/resize that the image retained the EXIF data, camera model, and focal length? Whenever I do anything in photoshop it cuts out all that.

If you have CS2 it retains the data after you crop or edit an image.

I like this shot a lot. The lighting is fantastic and I think the contrast is fine as it is.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback, and glad the image is of interest ! :)
Very little croping at all its almost full frame , the lion was real close, and its just had slight levels tweak and usm.

Deano

Most reactions

Back