Long Beach Grand Prix-view (Drift style) (56K get with the times)

mschoelen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelschoelen.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I was going to Long Beach today with my GF (we had the hardest time getting to tequila jacks because all the roads were closed for the LBGP practice, so we had to go the long way around, and I decided to stop and see if I could find anything good to watch. Ends up I got there JUST in the nick of time to watch the Drift practice. This is probably the best way to shoot IMO since there is practically no one there to get in your way, or for you to be in the way of.
While looking at these pictures keep in mind that this was my first time shooting inmotion panning type shots (the shutter was too fast the whole time), also that this was planned, so I didnt have time to set-up, plan out set-up or anything. I also didn't know where the track started/ended until the end of their first lap. Some of the pictures aren't even capable of panning, since the cars slowed down towards the end.
I would appreciate C&C just keep it clean. I would really like tips on how to do panning shots. Thanks for looking!
lbgrandprix_0141.jpg

lbgrandprix_0138.jpg

lbgrandprix_0137.jpg

lbgrandprix_0130.jpg

lbgrandprix_0120.jpg

lbgrandprix_0117.jpg

lbgrandprix_0116.jpg

lbgrandprix_0114.jpg

lbgrandprix_0112.jpg

lbgrandprix_0111.jpg

Wow, yeah step the shutter speed down to (I believe) 1/60th or lower to get some motion in there. I do like the colors and DoF on the first batch, but the fence gets in the way in the third batch, I realize it is hard to avoid, but damn. I like the shots from the pits though, good work.

In almost all of these, the cars look like they're parked. You need to use a slower shutter speed and pan these to create the sense of action.

Shutter speeds need to be around 125th, maybe 100th, def not near 60. You'll get motion blur without using a monopod or something along those lines. I shot at the drag nationals this past summer. Shot all day at the range above and have perfect shots. Plus I was using a slow peice of crap lens.

But make sure you shoot often and dont be afraid to fill a memory card, take more pictures and you'll end up with more you like!

Most reactions

Back