Long distance hiking with 35mm

Sportsax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was thinking about doing a long hike where I carry everything I can survive with on my back. I need at least average 15 miles a day hiking. I want to go ultra-light because I don't like lots of weight on me. I want to make beautiful art with photography as I trek...especially night.....light painting. I have a very VERY small budget.

What camera to pack? Smena 8m (10 oz)

Watcha Think?

Thanks

Sportsax

Light painting..... at night..... after hiking 15mi a day..................... using a $15 film camera......................... that may not have a Bulb function?

I gotta say: That's d*#&ed ambitious!

Light painting..... at night..... after hiking 15mi a day..................... using a $15 film camera......................... that may not have a Bulb function?

And ultra-light so probably not a tripod, either, even if it did have Bulb?

And ultra-light so probably not a tripod, either, even if it did have Bulb?

There's ways around not having a 'proper' tripod, especially if you're going to be light painting at night. But it's still problematic.

"Proof is in the Picking"..I'll back to you when I do something with the idea.

I love film but I would not recommend it for a trip like that. All the film you would have to take just adds to what you have to pack.

A digital mirrorless camera would be a good choice. I love my Fuji x100f.

As for a tripod you could try something like this. It has one pole and then you attach two trecking polls to it. If you already hike with trecking polls it could be a extremely light weight option.

https://www.amazon.com/TrailPix-Ult...1517458797&sr=8-1&keywords=TRAILPIX+SOLO+DSLR

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I love film, I miss it. But for long distance hikes I'd go digital. You can pack a gazillion pictures on an SD card while you'd need two bricks of film (and would be changing film in rain or wind) to get even close to what you'd want if you take a lot of shots.

First, start by looking at what you're going to want to take pictures of. If you shoot wildlife (especially birds), you're going to want a long zoom with decent speed. Or a camera with a ton of pixels (like the Nikon D850) so you can crop like crazy. And frankly, it doesn't sound like you want to go either route. If it's primarily landscape, than a wide angle with a wide aperture (which will work in low light) covers a lot of bases (smaller, lighter, allows you to shoot what you want).

Second, as for support equipment...either get a tripod that is stable or don't bring on and look for an alternative (bean bag--I have know a couple of photographers who use a bag of beans or rice as one so your food can double as a bean bag). A bungie cord (strapped to a tree or fence). Consider filters--to get pop in the clouds, to shoot blurred water during the day, or shoot sunsets (the type of filter will vary with what you want to shoot). Definitely some kind of microfibre cloth to clean your lens and wipe off dust. I'm a big believer in a zip log bag to put the camera and lens in--deals with heavy rain, dust and dirt and you can probably find an alternative use for the zip lock bag if the weather ends up being perfect.

Since you're a serious hiker and you've got a blog, my advice would be to do something like take a picture a day (so the camera feels less like an anchor but more like a critical daily tool--like your backpack is). Make a daily post and it has to include a picture.

I was thinking about doing a long hike where I carry everything I can survive with on my back. I need at least average 15 miles a day hiking. I want to go ultra-light because I don't like lots of weight on me. I want to make beautiful art with photography as I trek...especially night.....light painting. I have a very VERY small budget.

What camera to pack? Smena 8m (10 oz)

Watcha Think?

Thanks

Sportsax

I say if you want to do film, then do film. It doesn't weigh much. Just make sure you keep it in something waterproof.

But, for what you want to do, there might be a better camera option. What other gear do you have, or are you looking to buy something for this hike? How long is the hike? What other pictures are you interested in other than night photography and light painting?

Edit: Oh, and what kind of film are you planning to shoot?

Thank you for your advice and interest in my project. It will mostly landscape day and night in the backwoods. My goal is to go light and inexpensive....just to go. My pack is 22 pounds with a three days of food that I dehydrated and vacuum packed myself. Part of this whole concept is to do it with limited finances. Ziplock freezer bags for waterproofing. I like the film idea. I believe the Smena 8m has the ability for bulb. It has maybe a better lens than a Holga and I picked up one for $24.99. I want to develop my own film and then scan on my Epson 550. I will start with the Kodak Tmax 100. I guess you would say that I am trying to “Turn a sow’s ear into a purse”. I like new challenges. This will start soon in early spring. BTW...I like the idea of equipment or supplies doubling in purpose. My ultra-light Gatewood cape tent doubles as a rain poncho. Again, this is all about counting ounces and pennies.

btw...ultimately I want to thru-hike the continental divide trail with my techniques I develop this year.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice and interest in my project. It will mostly landscape day and night in the backwoods. My goal is to go light and inexpensive....just to go. My pack is 22 pounds with a three days of food that I dehydrated and vacuum packed myself. Part of this whole concept is to do it with limited finances. Ziplock freezer bags for waterproofing. I like the film idea. I believe the Smena 8m has the ability for bulb. It has maybe a better lens than a Holga and I picked up one for $24.99. I want to develop my own film and then scan on my Epson 550. I will start with the Kodak Tmax 100. I guess you would say that I am trying to “Turn a sow’s ear into a purse”. I like new challenges. This will start soon in early spring. BTW...I like the idea of equipment or supplies doubling in purpose. My ultra-light Gatewood cape tent doubles as a rain poncho. Again, this is all about counting ounces and pennies.

btw...ultimately I want to thru-hike the continental divide trail with my techniques I develop this year.

Sounds exciting. And...shooting Tmax 100...that's a good film but you may want a higher ISO if you're going to be shooting in the dark or low light (heavy shadow, cave entrance, etc.).

I looked up the Smena - this might help you decide if it will be good for you or to know what kind of challenge to expect: Smena 8M (2)

Also, the manual: https://microsites.lomography.com/smena/smena8m/download/SmenaManual.pdf

I agree with Joe - if the plan includes low light shooting, then go for 400 ISO. If this is sort of a test run and you are on a tight budget, you might consider Kentmere 400 (it's at least a dollar cheaper per roll at B&H), especially since the lens on the Smena isn't particularly fast, and apparently, motion blur is par for the course with this camera.

The lens will definitely be better than a plastic Holga lens. If these are the two cameras you are considering, I have a new question for you: are you interested in the look that toy cameras create? Is that why you were looking specifically at these cameras? Or was it just a price consideration?

And this question is going to sound rude but I promise I don't mean it that way: have you shot film before?

Last edited:
I have just started recently shooting and developing film. I definitely need more practice. So much to learn. I am just now having the time to really get into it. Having some initial success, I tried again the other day and found out the developer can spoil with time. Years ago, I worked as a lab technician doing quality control chemistry and don’t remember any of our solutions spoiling with age.

I am not really into the whole lomography light leaks and such but do want to make artistic photographs. Probably into the composition more than anything. Only type of analogy I can think of right now is when Kurt Corbain had no money but used a cheap pawn shop Fender Mustang guitar to become successful. Nobody really wanted those guitars at that time but now they cost a fortune.

My whole approach to this whole adventure is to control the pennies and ounces. If it cost too much or it becomes too heavy to carry, there is more of a chance I won’t finish it. The Smena 8m might do the trick.

Thank you for the advice on film. I will go that route. I am getting ready to do some test runs in a nearby state park and a 64 mile rails to trails hiking path. I will be checking back in periodically with you folks to update on my trials and tribulations. It’s very likely that I will look back to this with embarrassment on how naive I was. It’s ok....been there many times.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back