Long Exposure.. Can I get some C&C?

LaurenElle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
We have this project in school about long exposure and this is my first time doing something like this. There's something about these that I don't like but I'm not sure what it is. Also, I've obviously done some editing in photoshop....which maybe I shouldn't have done. Someone told me that it's not good to do a lot of editing in photoshop. Is that true?

2cp51yb.png

wml2qx.png

Have you thought about trying something with light painting?

I like #2.

And there is nothing wrong with using photoshop if it helps you get the end result you want.

These seem too "busy." By that I mean there is too much going on with nothing to focus on. If you're doing long exposure, I'm currently obsessing over long exposure on water (streams, lakes, oceans.) Long exposure on water can give a really spectacular look and if you have something to focus on make a really nice image.
To me, this man is the master of long exposure. Check out his flickr for some inspiration: Flickr: Joel Tjintjelaar's Photostream

If you can get further away from the city you could also do star trails. Here's some examples of ones I've done to give you an idea. These were all taken under 3/4 to a full moon:

IMG_9800small.jpg

IMG_9237small.jpg

Or industrial parks can look pretty cool too. This was about a 30 second exposure I believe:

IMG_7705small.jpg

^i think i'm going to try these over the next couple days...
so how do you do that, it looks like its 2pm and then theres stars in the sky but your talking about the moon??
explain more

Very beautiful shot... like first one

WOW Amazing who took this shot :D i love this

IMG_7705small.jpg
[/QUOTE]

We have this project in school about long exposure and this is my first time doing something like this. There's something about these that I don't like but I'm not sure what it is. Also, I've obviously done some editing in photoshop....which maybe I shouldn't have done. Someone told me that it's not good to do a lot of editing in photoshop. Is that true?

2cp51yb.png

wml2qx.png

When you're shooting at night, take off your UV filter. More often than not, they'll create really bad lens flare's or reflections of lights, which i think is what happened in the first one.

Also, if you can get out of the city, you can get some slick star trails. Otherwise, if you're going to stay in the city, start early, about an hour or so before the sun sets and find an awesome composition. There will than be a point where the sky and the city lights will be about the same brightness and you'll have some pretty awesome looking deep blue skies and orange city lights. Your exposures will be long so you'll still get movement from cars.

I think number 2 is the best, like previously said, number one, is just distracting
I think you should 100% try the star trail and industrial park, ive never thought of something like an industrial park
Goodluck! and if you take the pictures, POST THEM! :D

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try again tonight and use the advice !

Most reactions

Back