long exposure car tail light photos

Tha Bizness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please take a look at this photo. This is my first of this type of shot and wondering what the board thinks of it. My biggest problem I think was focus. What should I focus on in a shots like these and are there any tricks I can use to not over expose the the bridge itself? (its lit up like a xmas tree)

This was a 10 sec exposure at 80mm. f/5.6. I was also thinking the next time I shoot this move the bridge right of center.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thabizness/1407926427/

I would stop down the aperture (Higher f number) to 16 or 18 and try it out again. Or better yet, take several shots with different settings and see how they all fit together in shots like this, and figure out which you like best. :)

Also, with a smaller aperture, the street lights will turn into a star-like light rather than a bright blob in the photo.

stop it down really low and use a 30 second + exposure. Focus on the bridge next time...focusing at infinity will give you a larger depth of field and using the lower aperture will make it just that much larger and most of your picture will be in focus.

...and like any shot, composition matters! In your image, the composition isn't that compelling. You're mastering the technical aspect, don't forget the creative one.

...and like any shot, composition matters! In your image, the composition isn't that compelling. You're mastering the technical aspect, don't forget the creative one.

Yes, that too. Get closer to the road, and the bridge....it'll make it much better.

I would say the composition is the area I would work on most. The bridge (as noted above) is too far away to draw the eye to anything interesting, whether it be colors or structure. That leaves just the cars going by but that in itself isn't interesting enough to keep me looking at the image. I would use a telephoto lens to get a closer shot at the bridge if you can't just get closer. Technically it really doesn't look bad to me at all. I like the darkness of the shot itself in respect to the surrounding cityscape. The focal point is just too far off in the distance to pull me in to the shot. I would like to see your next attempt.

Most reactions

Back