Long Exposure - Crashing Waves

rusty9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
tried this the other night. i don't know how i feel about it. that's why i brought it here.

CSC_0102.jpg

Very cool colors :)

Is that the street light?

I don't like it. The composition is alright, but the yellow-ish tint really doesn't work.

I'm so NOT sure about the colour the water took through that street light ... it looks so "wrong", and no longer like water, more like something ... slimey, and not friendly. I tried the same a couple of months ago, also on a beach with sodium lights lining the promenade, and I wasn't too fond of the effect I then got, either.

try to play with the WB and SAT..

im sure it will look much better with blue or purple color..

nice try..

:)

That colour looks really weird. I'm afraid that I'm not sure if I like it or not. The composition is fairly good, although I don't really get the impression of crashing waves, more of a fairly calm seaside. I'm also not a fan of the street lamp's flare in the upper right, although you may not have been able to do much about that.

Sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but for a first attempt, it's fairly good, I'll admit. Maybe the colour is making me think too little of it, I reckon a black & white conversion would be pretty good.

yeah the yellow color is from the street light. i didn't like the color from the start, and that's the reason i wasn't sure about it. i'll try to do something with it later...gooing to church now.

I hate those Orangish lights. Annoying and disgusting in pictures. I took a TON just like this shot here and out of 90 pics I kept 3. Everything else is good about it but the street light ruins the photo big time imo.

yeah the yellow color is from the street light. i didn't like the color from the start, and that's the reason i wasn't sure about it. i'll try to do something with it later...gooing to church now.

lookin forward to see the result :D

All I am really going to say (and this won't be helpful... there's your warning) was that when I opened this thread that said "Crashing waves long exposure" I expected to see a beach during the day with what looks like the arch of a small wave crashing on the shore WITH the spray, and everything...

I'm disappointed :(

I expected to see a beach during the day with what looks like the arch of a small wave crashing on the shore WITH the spray, and everything...

I'm disappointed :(

well you couldn't "freeze" the water w/ a long exposure of about 10 seconds =/

It looks like a toxic waste spill.

Investigate how to do a custom white balance with your camera. It's covered somewhere in your camera's users manual.

As others have mentioned, you can most likely revive this shot by adjusting the white balance. However, I think you should avoid trying mess with the in-camera white balance. The problem is that if you change the white balance of the entire shot, then the city lights on the horizon probably won't look right.

Your best bet would be to bring this image into Photoshop (or another comparable image editor) and isolate only the water and rocks, then adjust the white balance until the "tungsten" tone goes away.

If you made this shot in RAW format and can thus work on a file with high bit-depth, then such a modification to the white balance probably won't degrade the quality at all. If you made this shot as a JPEG, though, tweaking the colors this much might introduce unwanted noise. Then again, faced with a choice of either having a bit of noise or having a seashore that looks like "nuclear waste" dumpsite, I'd much rather have a bit of luminance noise.

If you took this shot in JPEG, you would ideally try to repeat the shot using RAW and then tweak the white balance of the water as I mentioned.

If you took this shot in JPEG, you would ideally try to repeat the shot using RAW and then tweak the white balance of the water as I mentioned.

that's what i planned on doing actually. i'll go later. i'll try a day shot and night shot in raw, play with the WB and see what i come up with.

Most reactions

Back