Long Exposure Photography During Daytime

Well anytime you want the effect of long exposure but happen to be shooting during the day.

You choose the method and technique to best fit the subject and your vision, not the other way around.

A few reasons.
1) remove people from a plaza - anyone and anything moving around will essentially disappear from a long exposure.
2) emphasize movement of slow-moving objects - they will move during a long exposure, and you will get some blur. Useful for clouds.
3) create "smooth" water surfaces even then they are not still.
4) emphasize the things that are "solid" and those that move, in the wind say. If you shoot a tree with its branches moved by the wind, you'll get the trunk almost without any movement, and the branches waving about...

It's a neat creative technique.

On beaches, rivers, or anything with moving or flowing water. It gives the picture plenty of motion.

I just gotta ask, Pgriz.... I have seen the comment before about 'images going thru frame, but not showing up on photo'. I don't understand how that can happen? As they say, please dumb down the answer :)
usually I see this type comment when taking photos Ina cathedral or such, and a lot of people are there..
sorry to hijack the thread, but maybe it will help someone with long exposures discussed here...
Nancy

In a crowded cityscape, a LONG exposure, let's say one of three minutes, will show the NON-moving objects as they are...however, things that move through the frame will simply NOT register, due to the need for an exposure of three full minutes to "make' an exposure. So, a man walking through the scene will not even show up--at ALL!!! However, if the same said man walks into the shot, then stops and stands in one place for say a minute and a half, he will be ghost-like...you'll be able to "see through" him, from where the background registered for half of the time. If that same man walks into the shot, then sits down in a chair, perfectly still, he will show up quite well. However, hundreds of people just walking right on by would NOT register,since they did not remain in ONE, single location long enough for their image to "burn in" on the film, or sensor!!!

Mmmm, I knew I should have listened more in science class.
i still find it hard to know why... Lights from autos show up....
If the long exposure was only a minute, would it be the same?
nancy

Mmmm, I knew I should have listened more in science class.
i still find it hard to know why... Lights from autos show up....
If the long exposure was only a minute, would it be the same?
nancy

In a night scene, auto lights are the brightest part. If you expose to see something in the dark, bright lights need much less time of exposure than the rest. In a daily scene, static and moving objects are more or less similarly lit. So, if you set the camera for having 3 minutes exposure, if objects need 3 minutes for being correctly exposed, anything staying much less time will be so dark that will not be shown on the picture.

Most reactions

Back