Long focal length ...

The 200-600 f/5.6~6.3 for under $2K looks good, especially for field sports(like soccer) in daylight.

THAT is why I went to micro 4/3 for my long lenses.
That 600mm Sony lens on a FF camera has 12x magnification (600/50=12)
A 300mm lens on a m4/3 camera has the same 12x magnification (300/25=12). But in a much smaller/lighter package. One that this old man can carry and shoot.

Yes it is true that a smaller film or smaller sensor uses a correspondingly smaller lens focal length or equivalent picture angle of view.

But one of the unspoken goals of some types of photography is to render a clear, crisp, high-resolution image of foreground subject matter present it in front of a very defocused background. Unfortunately as we go down in sensor size such as to the micro 4/3 size sensor, even a very wide aperture such as f/4 backgrounds are not very defocused, and this is why for the typical blown out background desired by say Sports Illustrated for football or baseball photography or equestrian events, is still the province of big full frame Canon and Nikon digital single lens reflex cameras

On the flipside of course is the fact that a 300 mm lens used on a micro 4/3 format camera delivers approximately the same image magnification as a 600 mm lens would on a traditional full frame camera, and a particularly good compromise in my opinion is the APS -C format, which gives us tremendous "reach" with today's new 200 to 600 mm zoom lenses.

Last edited:
I think that for most people the ideal of a blown out background is just that – – a mere ideal, and something that it is not worth going to tremendous expense and effort to achieve. The fact of the matter is that with today's typical DX format DSLR, A 200 to 500 mm or 200 to 600 mm or 150 to 600 mm zoom lens allows for a lot of framing flexibility, and also provides a lot of reach and avoid the necessity of having a Lens that weighs 13 to 15 pounds, and which is extremely expensive

Hmm. I LIKED some of the shots in the video.
I usually shoot a 70-200 on a D7200, DX/APS-C camera. And I usually shoot plays, not TIGHT crops (I crop in the computer), and 200mm on an APS-C is still too short for far side of the field shots.
But the tight crop shots are neat. I gotta try that next school year. 75-300 on a m4/3 and I have the same magnification as a 600mm on a FF camera. :D

This is where team shooting comes into play.
With ONE person, you are stuck with what you are shooting with, and whatever lens you choose is a compromise; near field or far field.
With a team, one can shoot the shorter lens, and the other the longer lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back