Long night exposures - just starting out

huru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi folks, just signed up here and I see that people give great feedback. I've only had my DSLR for 6 months and have been leaning towards night photography... Especially "long" exposures. My tripod and camera even appear as a shadow in one photo...please forgive me for that! I'd love some feedback or comments on how I'm doing so far :D

$dead_as_night_by_hurutotheguru-d6l8f74.jpg $star_swirls_by_hurutotheguru-d6kc8ne.jpg $night_light_in_the_bush_by_hurutotheguru-d6kc7tp.jpg $swirl_by_hurutotheguru-d6k7yaj.jpg

Shot on Canon 700D

I like them so far. However on number 2 I am not a fan of the stars trailing. If that was intentional I think you should take the trails longer or take a shorter photo to avoid the trailing.

Your not doing too bad on the long exposure lark, wished I could say the same. Like you I have only been at this DSLR game for around 6 months, tried a few long exposures and everything just goes mental. Can never seem to get the right balance and end up with this mess off colors and stars.

Keep it up

I like them so far. However on number 2 I am not a fan of the stars trailing. If that was intentional I think you should take the trails longer or take a shorter photo to avoid the trailing.

Yeah I just have a fascination with star trails and was trying to just the centre of the southern sky in to create the swirl. Photo was taken at like 2am and shortly after the UV filter on lens fogged up!

Your not doing too bad on the long exposure lark, wished I could say the same. Like you I have only been at this DSLR game for around 6 months, tried a few long exposures and everything just goes mental. Can never seem to get the right balance and end up with this mess off colors and stars.

Keep it up

Cheers! I've found using the 6400 ISO trick works wonders .......do test exposures for however many senconds at ISO 6400, when happy with exposure swap back to ISO 100 and convert the seconds to minutes. Sorry if im pointing out stuff you already knew ;)

I did not know this little trick, shall give it a go! cheers

Most reactions

Back