Long time no visit..oh yes and some advice please

Revel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Well, its been over a year since my last visit, 11-06-06 if I was to be exact, but after trying other hobbies ( golf being one ) I have decided that photography is where I should be ( at least I cant slice my camera to the right :lol: )

I was last here looking to buy a starter camera and ended up buying a Dimage Z6 which I have been happy with for now. Heres the new question.

I have a budget of £400 ( perhaps a little bit more ) and would like a digital SLR that can take action shots with a rapid shot thing. Sorry for the techno jargon but I am a bit rusty. Basically, rather than click.........click.........click I want clickclickclickclick. Im sure somebody will jog my memory on the terminology.

Looking forward to entering the competitions and I agree on last months winner. I would be P****d if that was my wedding pic :lol: .

Andy

Welcome back Andy.

I'm not sure if you can get a Canon 30D for 400...maybe a used one, or a used 20D. Either of those will shoot at 5 frames per second. Most or all of the entry level cameras is about 3 fps...which isn't bad...but if that's your priority, then 5 is certainly better than 3.

Thanks for the welcome back

I think 3 frames may be ok. Basically, I want to take action shots. Im not an ambulance chaser, but this is just an example of the type of speed i want.

Imagine being at Oulton Park race circuit and you catch a collision. My current camera (Dimage Z6) will miss most of the action before it is ready for its next shot. Could I catch most of the action with a 3fps camera ?

As mentioned, this is just an example

Probably more important that the shooting rate, is the shutter lag. Most DSLR cameras have very little shutter lag compared to 'digicams'...so you will be happy with a DSLR.

You should have no problem with any dSLR shooting at a race track. I use an XT and I know other people who use similar if not the same camera.

Although more FPS would definitely be nice.

Thanks for the info. BTW what is the XT?

The "XT" is the Canon Digital Rebel XT. Canon advertises it as being capable of "3 frames-per-second shooting with a 14 frame burst" and 100 millisecond shutter lag.

Comparably, the Nikon D80 can shoot 3 frames per second with 100 frame burst and 80 millisecond shutter lag.

Of course, that's just comparing the continuous shooting modes of those two cameras (ie hold down the shutter release and the shutter will fire over and over again until you release the button). I am not familiar with other makes of cameras.

On the Nikon side, if you could do with 2.5 frames per second, the D40/D40X is less expensive. All depends on your budget and the features that you "must have".

Pentax !!! Theres a thought. Thanks for all the info and advice. Im sure I will find my new toy soon :)

In the mean time, the Z6 will do me. That reminds me, must learn how to use it properly. Im using it as a point and shoot at the moment :oops:

Most reactions

Back