Long's Peak B&W

ashfordphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, here's a shot of Long's Peak. Give me some ideas on how to make this thing better - I like it, but I don't think I've maximized it's potential.

longsgreysmall.jpg

Personally I like it as is! I tend to be pretty disappointed with Black and white photos. I think a lot of well intentioned people wind up mkaing flat looking B+W photos. But this example has an exquisit range of tone. The tones create layers. Your composition looks dead on. If anything I wish there was more interesting cloud features, but thats obviously something you had no control over.

Brian

I agree with PNA but I certainly would not know how to fix it. To degree, I like it just as it is, but lacks a certain oomph.

Rusty Tripod

I love this picture Great subject matter would like to see more like this.

I really like the vastness of the photo. Almost makes me a little chilly looking at it!

I like it a lot, its great, and I do not think there is too much contrast. There are so many shades of gray...Very sexy.

I like iot pretty much as it is - the snow l/h mountain is a little blown out but I'm sure that could be recovered - very cold looking isn't it.

>;o))

I get chills looking at the East Face of Long's. It is a very scary climb, particularly since you need to spend the night hanging on the face. I think Ansel would be proud of this image. A little oversharpened and a little contrasty but basically an interesting and powerful composition.

thanks for the great responses. I think the contrast issue is interesting. While playing with the picture, I had a really hard time deciding what to do. Turns out, on the large original the sharpening and contrast look excellent, and then it gets overwhelmed when I resize the picture.

I had mPIX print out a 10x20 of this for me and I LOVE IT! It's not oversharpened, but rather a smooth focus and the contrast really gels. Plus, all the noise is gone....(interesting how that works).

Thanks everyone for the critiques - I highly value everybody's opinions regarding what they think works. FMW - thanks for making my day making the Ansel reference :) He's the one and only that got me inspired with photography in the first place.

Most reactions

Back