Look Out !!! Seriously all Ebay users!!!

duncanp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
3,390
Reaction score
43
Location
Sheffield
Website
www.duncanphilpott.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
there is a current ebay scam out to steal ur pass.... this nearly got me but i always stay logged in and wondered why i had been logged out, this caused me to look at the address bar which showed a different site... Phishing...


The email looks like a real ebay email:
ebayscam.jpg

but the item link takes you to the fraudulent site:
ebayscam2.jpg



just trying to help....

duncan
 
Duncan,

I get those all the time. I also get ones from "Customer Service" doing routine matainance on my account and they need me to verify my info.

My personal favorite is the one supposedly from PayPal telling me that someone has accessed my account and I need to let them know...whatever.

The first time I got these, I sent them to eBay and PayPal, and they said it's all a scam.

Thanks for the tip, dude!
 
jocose said:
Duncan,

I get those all the time. I also get ones from "Customer Service" doing routine matainance on my account and they need me to verify my info.

My personal favorite is the one supposedly from PayPal telling me that someone has accessed my account and I need to let them know...whatever.

The first time I got these, I sent them to eBay and PayPal, and they said it's all a scam.

Thanks for the tip, dude!


Im 14 and i get them from HSBC saying ive had thousands stolen from my account xP
 
duncanp said:
Im 14 and i get them from HSBC saying ive had thousands stolen from my account xP

Yup. I get requests to refinance my house...it's an old address I haven't lived at in 10 years, and my parents SOLD 2 years ago :lmao:


My personal fav is the woman who works in the office next to me...she starts yelling when she gets the viagra offers:mrgreen: Something else YOU don't need at 14 !
 
Thats probably how I got burned. Somebody recently got hold of all my credit cards, and bank info. Not sure how, but it took a lot to get my stuff back. I now have a block on my identity, cause they think somebody has all my info...including SIN number. It is kinda scary, how it works. On one of my cards, for a local electronics store, somebody tried to charge $3000.00, but because of the block, they contact me first to ask if it is me.
 
Hotmail gives me many of those emails lol, their spam filters suck.... Bt Yahoo isnt bad but this one got through
 
Ok...just follow this, and you should be safe:

Paypal and Ebay will NEVER have you go through a link to update/check/whatever your account. If you are unsure if it's fake or not, ALWAYS open a new browser, go to the website directly, and check your account from there. Also, they will always greet you by your name, NEVER as "dear user" or something else equally as vauge (sp?).

Also...whenever you get those, forward ebay ones to [email protected] and paypal ones to [email protected]. It helps them investigate where they are coming from so they can stop the phishers...you'll get an email back from them confirming if it's a fake.
 
core_17 said:
Ok...just follow this, and you should be safe:

Paypal and Ebay will NEVER have you go through a link to update/check/whatever your account. If you are unsure if it's fake or not, ALWAYS open a new browser, go to the website directly, and check your account from there. Also, they will always greet you by your name, NEVER as "dear user" or something else equally as vauge (sp?).

Also...whenever you get those, forward ebay ones to [email protected] and paypal ones to [email protected]. It helps them investigate where they are coming from so they can stop the phishers...you'll get an email back from them confirming if it's a fake.

one thing to add to this...if you do forward to these addresses, be sure to forward it with the entire header (there's usually a setting in your options to turn on/off full headers). They need the full header to track it.

Oh, and you were so close corry, love, it's vague
 
jocose said:
one thing to add to this...if you do forward to these addresses, be sure to forward it with the entire header (there's usually a setting in your options to turn on/off full headers). They need the full header to track it.

Oh, and you were so close corry, love, it's vague

Didn't know that about the header...I"ll have to try and find out what my settings are.
 
core_17 said:
Didn't know that about the header...I"ll have to try and find out what my settings are.

yea, apparently they can get info on where it came from and what providers it went through and stuff like that.

If you're using Yahoo email, there's a setting in the options. Sorry, I don't know about other email programs.
 
If you get a email like that dont open it and certainly dont use the links if you you do, go into your ebay and see if you have any questions in ... my ebay...:thumbup: same goes for paypal.

Cant be too careful in this day and age :gun:
 
try not to put your email link on any websites. crawlers scour millions of pages picking up email address' posted on the website and then use the to send spam or sell them
 

Most reactions

New Topics

Back
Top