Looking at a monorail.

McQueen278

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found a Calumet monorail in 4x5 with a Rodenstock APO Sironar N f/5.6 and a Polaroid back that takes type 52. The store is pretty motivated to move it because it has been collecting dust for so long. They quoted me $600 for everything including a nice tripod which I forgot to mention earlier. I did some checking on the lens and it is supposed to be a nice performer, but does anyone have any first hand experience with it, and how does that price stack up?

Here is a picture I snapped.
IMG_5778.jpg

Looks great but how much do regular film backs cost and is one of those included?

Polaroid isn't much longer for this world it seems so that back might not be as useful as it once was.

Looks great but how much do regular film backs cost and is one of those included?

Polaroid isn't much longer for this world it seems so that back might not be as useful as it once was.

Oh, I plan on selling the Polaroid back because I don't see using it. The film backs are dirt cheap. $5.00-$15.00 No there isn't one included.

I'm between this and a RB67 outfit. I'm leaning toward the RB67 at this point. I wish there was a cheap way of getting some movements on that RB67 though.

IKWYM, selective focus in PS just doesn't make it.

I too am wondering why there are so many RB 67s out there. I get that it's a lot to carry but what else will you be doing?

Ah, that is a great deal considering the lens is worth $4-600 on the used market, and it is a very good lens. The camera looks like a N series, worth around $300. I have a 45NX and really enjoyed it when I used smaller formats, plenty of controls, revolving back, good quality.

Sounds like a really good deal to me. I would see if they would keep the polaroid back and throw in some film holders if they have them.

Oh, I plan on selling the Polaroid back because I don't see using it. The film backs are dirt cheap. $5.00-$15.00 No there isn't one included.

I'm between this and a RB67 outfit. I'm leaning toward the RB67 at this point. I wish there was a cheap way of getting some movements on that RB67 though.

Grafmatic backs are also great. They show up on eBay.

I should update this thread! I ended up scoring a Speed Graphic on ebay a little while back instead of going for a monorail. I am considering making an offer on that lens though. It will be a bit big for the Speed, but I don't mind lugging it around and I didn't plan on using it hand held.

Most reactions

Back