Looking at a small CSC

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by johnsnelling, Feb 11, 2016.

1. johnsnelling

johnsnelling TPF Noob!

I've been looking at a small CSC for use when the sheer size and weight if the DSLR kit I have (5dmkii and assortment of lenses).

Some of the new offerings look amazing (Sony A7R, Olympus Pen-F etc etc) but they cost almost as much as a DSLR and I can't see me ever parting company with a DSLR for my main photography, which has taken a backseat for the past two years due to work commitments.

I've researched the web, reviews , forums for the best solution for my needs, but as always there is no perfect camera.

I'm looking at the A6000 at the moment, partly due to the price, quality and reviews, and even though the new A6300 is coming I can't justify the price for that model.

The new camera would come with me at all times when the DSLR is just not practical.

I'm sure many of you have a backup camera which you use in this way, so would love to hear what you use, and would buy based on experience.

Thanks, John

P.S. Apologies if this subject has been raised many times before

2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have an Olympus em5, not the mark 2 but the original one. It can be fought very cheaply and I highly recommend for anything that doesn't need continuous focus

3. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Have you looked into the Fujifilm X‑M1? Have nothing against what's already been mentioned. I have been looking at this for a couple days (not for me) and for the money, it seems excellent with nice glass selection.

Fujifilm X-M1 Review | PhotographyBLOG

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. cherylynne1

cherylynne1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I have the a6000, and it's a great camera. With the price going down now, it's one of the best bargains out there. I agree that as a second camera you definitely don't need the a6300 unless you really want 4K video with a mic input.

I think you'll probably be unimpressed by the kit lens, however, coming from a 5dmkii. You can always adapt your Canon lenses if you have some small ones, or you could grab a good prime. Best budget option is one of the Sigmas (19, 30, 60, all 2.8.) If you're willing to spend a little more, maybe take a look at the Sony 35 1.8 or 50 1.8. And then, of course, there's the spectacular Zeiss 24 1.8, which can be found used for around $650.