Looking at some faster lenses. Anyone have exp. with these?

hankejp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to upgrade to some faster lenses. I've found some and the reviews seem good, just wondering if anyone has any experience with the following lenses:

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR ZL Di LD Aspherical (IF) with Built-In AF Motor

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Aspherical Large Aperture Standard Zoom

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens

Nikon 85mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens

Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP ZL Aspherical (IF) Zoom Lens with Built In Motor

I'm slowly trying to build up an aresenal for indoor sports shooting and maybe weddings way down the road. Any other recommended lenses would be great. I can't really afford the $1000+ Nikon lenses right now.

Thanks for any input you may have. Right now I have a D40, but will be moving to a D90 pretty soon as well.

Thanks Again.

I've got the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 and it's a very nice lens for the money. I would still rather have the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS...but at less than half the price, the Tamron was a good compromise for me.

I've got the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 and it's a very nice lens for the money. I would still rather have the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS...but at less than half the price, the Tamron was a good compromise for me.

Thanks for the input Mike. Do you use this lens at weddings? Do you have any photos with this lens?

I can vouch for the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8. The build quality is outstanding, sharp, great colors and contrast. Creamy bokeh and fast AF. Metal hood included.

The only slight issue is the minimum focusing distance of 2.8ft (.85m), but it isn't that bad.

I can vouch for the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8. The build quality is outstanding, sharp, great colors and contrast. Creamy bokeh and fast AF. Metal hood included.

The only slight issue is the minimum focusing distance of 2.8ft (.85m), but it isn't that bad.

Thank you very much for your input. Do you have any photos available for me to look at with the lens?

I was afraid you'd ask that. :lol:

The work computer blocks access to photobucket, so I'll look afterwards.

Thanks for the input Mike. Do you use this lens at weddings? Do you have any photos with this lens?
Yes, this is my primary wedding lens...along with my 10-22mm and 70-200mm.

I don't have any example shots handy, sorry.

I would call it an adequate lens for most purposes...the quality is pretty good but I don't think it has that 'WOW' factor that you can get with truly outstanding lenses. That is often the difference between a lens that costs $500-$700 and a lens that costs $1000-$2000.

Great. As of now I can't get the $1000-$2000 lens. The wife would have a heart attack. I will have to check out your site Mike.

Thank you for looking later kundalini.

Most reactions

Back