looking at the full frame to replace the D7100

Jptex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been thinking on selling my D7100 and looking at a full frame camera. I am wanting to shoot clearer pictures at higher ISO, 3200 and above. The problem comes down to money. Even after selling my camera, the most I can spend is $2000. So how does the D610 compare with the D7100 and/or how is the older D700 compare. I shoot a little of portraits, a lot of landscape, and a lot of cheerleading. The cheerleading is either on the high school football field or it is indoor competitive cheer. The competitive cheer I am not to worried about since I can't get the right angle or able to use the correct lens, because of the paid professionals. I am wanting to move to the full frame system this summer. I am planning on buying the 24-70 f2.8 lens, which I have discussed on a different thread, sometime in June.

With my restriction in money, would I do just as good with staying with my camera or would I do better moving up to the D610 and/or D700. The D800 is out of my price range and it might kill my computer with the larger files faster.:mrgreen:

Transitioning from a D7100 to a D610 (or D600) will be easy. Your biggest issue will be glass until you can build a stable of FX lenses.

By the second week of june, I should have the 24-70, right now for full frame I have the 85 mm 1.8g and 70-300 mm.

Got the D7100 and the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G both great!!!
If I would upgrade it would be the D610 and not the D700
D610 has better DR, better at high ISO and more MP.
Also I cant see myself going down from 24MP of the D7100 to the 12MP of the D700
Cropping will be much different, MUCH!!!

I am definitely getting the 24-70 lens. I am hoping to have enough money to invest in a full frame too.

I want to rent the 610 to see if it is worth the expense or wait to later so I can upgrade the old computer and save money for a d800 or whatever is the newer camera at the moment.

I am definitely getting the 24-70 lens. I am hoping to have enough money to invest in a full frame too.

I want to rent the 610 to see if it is worth the expense or wait to later so I can upgrade the old computer and save money for a d800 or whatever is the newer camera at the moment.
About a year ago I gave up on my old D7000, had back focusing issues but thats a whole different story, I was in the market for a new camera.
The 2 cameras on my list were either the D7100 or D600 (back then the D610 wasnt available yet).
I chose the D7100, except low light performance the D7100 has few advantages over the D600 and I decided its just not worth the extra 1000$
I am happy I didnt get the D600 and I plan on upgrading to an FX body when the D610 replacement will arive.
In the mean time I kept upgrading all my lenses and today I am very happy and comfortable with my lenses all FX and wil pull the trigger on a new body once it will arrive.
The D800 would be nice but its just too expensive and I am not sure I would need the extra MP and all pro features.

Do not upgrade this amazing camera. Any upgrade you are likely to make will fall severely short of your expectations. Wait for Nikon to make some major upgrades to their future full frames, and for now focus on getting good glass that will give you the picture quality you seek.

I upgraded from a d7000 to a d600. I still have the d7000 but truthfully barely use it now.
One of the issues I had was the elimination of the 1.5x crop factor reach for sports

But .. you basically have to crop more (or use the DX mode, which is a smaller MP than the d7000 in crop).
For instance this bug on the ground
$TotalBug-1a.jpg

cropped to this
$DP01-22a.jpg

And I can switch between FX and DX mode. Pretty kewl more info here .. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon-lenses/357014-f4-zoom-lenses-300-400mm-2.html

I also heavily considered the d700. But lack of video and the convenience of using the same battery as my d7000 was the pushing point.

I use mostly a 80-200/2.8 lens for kid soccer sports and both cameras are great. The d600 is more versatile than the d7000.

On a recent kids field trip I opted to take my d7000. I was really disappointed as it was inside a museum and the state capital. Low Light. While meandering around I knew that d600 would have done much better. Live and learn. I missed several shots because of low light (couldn't use a flash either).

I love the d600 / 610. It does everything that I want it to do ... except 10+fps.
I do wish it had the pro button layout and a viewfinder shutter ... but it's a great camera non-the-less.

I don't understand your reference to paid professionals and FF ?

The reference I was making is at most of the competitive cheer events they have a company taking pictures there and selling their shots. So they will not let me in with a telephoto lens, 70-200 f2.8, Also the Photographers are situated around the cheer floor so to get the very best shots and this area is blocked off to everyone else. The best I can do is to shoot them from above, 100 feet away in the stands, using a 85mm 1.8 lens. Later during post processing, I can crop in tighter and try to get most of the noise out.

Get the 24-70 and use it on the D7100 for now.

Glass first, body later.

This is 100% the way to go. Putting partial frame lenses on a full frame camera is a total waste.

I'm not sure that a D6xx is going to get you THAT much better performance in high ISO over a D7100... at least possibly not when you consider the financial outlay. I haven't looked in a bit, but if I were you, I would look into this before making any purchases. (except the 24-70... you really can't go wrong there, no matter what you plan to do)

The reference I was making is at most of the competitive cheer events they have a company taking pictures there and selling their shots. So they will not let me in with a telephoto lens, 70-200 f2.8, Also the Photographers are situated around the cheer floor so to get the very best shots and this area is blocked off to everyone else. The best I can do is to shoot them from above, 100 feet away in the stands, using a 85mm 1.8 lens. Later during post processing, I can crop in tighter and try to get most of the noise out.

So the school district and/or competition has a contract with that company to take photographs. This allows that company the sole access rights so that they can not only take the photographs but also make money off of it (totally dependent upon the contract of course).

I would check with the school/competition if you having a different camera would even make a difference.

FWIW, The professional company that does school and school sport pictures in my district uses a Nikon d600. They don't allow cameras in when they shot.

Last edited:
I replaced mine with a NIB D610 and I'm very happy with it.

^^ that's almost like the Toyota commercials that tell you to drive their cars because your next door neighbors do it.

I have been thinking on selling my D7100 and looking at a full frame camera. I am wanting to shoot clearer pictures at higher ISO, 3200 and above. The problem comes down to money. Even after selling my camera, the most I can spend is $2000. So how does the D610 compare with the D7100 and/or how is the older D700 compare. I shoot a little of portraits, a lot of landscape, and a lot of cheerleading. The cheerleading is either on the high school football field or it is indoor competitive cheer. The competitive cheer I am not to worried about since I can't get the right angle or able to use the correct lens, because of the paid professionals. I am wanting to move to the full frame system this summer. I am planning on buying the 24-70 f2.8 lens, which I have discussed on a different thread, sometime in June.

With my restriction in money, would I do just as good with staying with my camera or would I do better moving up to the D610 and/or D700. The D800 is out of my price range and it might kill my computer with the larger files faster.:mrgreen:

What's your primary need that you cannot fulfill at the moment? Is it high ISO clarity, or is it wanting larger format, depth of field control - i.e shallower where needed? Do you print? and do you print big, or wish to? Are you lacking resolution? (and I mean resolution, not just pixel count)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back