looking for a cheap digital SLR

In your search, be aware that there are camera stores, both on-line and 'brick & morter', which are not honorable. They'll seem to have lower prices, but will use 'tricks' which will cause you to actually pay more in the end. A price that seems too good to be true is often just that -- too good to be true.

Having said that, I wish you the very best in your search.

Define Cheap. If you want to get a decent body and a lens that doesn't completely suck and are expecting to pay below $500 or so, dream on.

I recently purchased a Pentax *istDL, I found it on sale, got the store to match the online price, and then there was a $100 manufacturer rebate (poor college kid for the win :wink:)... It's definetly not 'top of the line', but I'm new to all of this and it suits me pretty well...

ha\/0k said:
It's definetly not 'top of the line', but I'm new to all of this and it suits me pretty well...
Than that's all that matters. If your camera does what you need it to do, than you don't need anything better. When people ask what I shoot and I say a D70s, they say "really? that's a cheap camera." But it does everything I need it to do, and even if i was using a D2x, i'd still make the exact same images with it.

Why not a film camera ?? I started with a pro-sumer Sony digital however I think my pictures have improved considerably since going to film. You can pick up a really nice film body for a song these days.

Dylan said:
Why not a film camera ?? I started with a pro-sumer Sony digital however I think my pictures have improved considerably since going to film. You can pick up a really nice film body for a song these days.
I agree with Dylan. I use A film Camera too, I find the colours are more vivid.

Dylan said:
You can pick up a really nice film body for a song these days.

Of course: nobody wants 'em anymore!
Wonder why . . .

It's because the industry tells everyone that digital is so much better. While this may be the case with some of the high end DSLR's if you're serious about photography as a hobby you can't go wrong with a film camera (imho).

As a hobbyist photographer, sticking with digital is truly the way to go. I've hda my D50 for 6 months now, and to purchase and process film for all the shots I've taken would have cost me a few thousand dollars.

It depends what you mean by "Cheap" and what you are looking for. If you know a bit about it, e-bay is quite good. obviously you have to keep your wits about you, but I have been using them for many years now, and not had a problem. (If buying from abroad beware customs charges, they can be as much as 50% even on second hand goods). there are many web sites that will compare prices for you. like "Shop Genie" and many others, even amazon are worth a shout.
A lot of people like to go to their high street retailer, as often these will be forced to compete as closely as poss with the internet and they also give face to face advice.

Most reactions

Back