Looking for a classic style of backdrop

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a backdrop similar to the one used here in this posing video:

(I'm not posting a picture in case it violates forum rules since it's from a video I didn't produce)

From what I can tell, it's thicker than the ones I have, and it's not very wrinkly. I'm also guessing that the vignetting is only created by the lights, and not by the backdrop print itself. Would that be true?

Basically I'm in the market for a good quality darkish/warmish backdrop that I don't have to worry about wrinkles or awkward patterns too much. The one in the video shows exactly what I'm after.

(perhaps it's the texture I like... mine all seem to have hard edges around the splotches, while this one seems like it has soft edges.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You want what is called an "Old Masters", in a brown tone. Multiple backdrop vendors sell these. Look on-line. Backdrop Outlet is just one of several. Silverlake is another. Denny Manufacturing is a CLASSIC background supplier that has been in business probably longer than almost any other outlet.

That helps a lot.

On the video, do you think the background is itself a bit blurred, or do you think it's a DOF thing? The models and instructor are both in focus, and relatively close to the backdrop, so I'm assuming the softness in the backdrop is actually part of the backdrop design.

But, on the sellers websites, I'm skeptical about seeing a blurred thumbnail, as it may just be soft due to PP or an OOF picture. Because of this, I'm definitely nervous about dropping >$100 on a backdrop that looks like someone spilled paint and walked on it.

Ah, I see on Denny Manufacturing's website, you can click on the thumbnail and see multiple pictures. Awesome...this looks promising.

I've shot on these kinds of backdrops in the past; the softness is the way the backdrops are made...the blending/smearing/edge transitions are designed to be somewhat soft, which really does help a LOT when shooting at smaller f/stops; the soft transitions in the background keep the background sublimated, and keeps the background from competing for visual attention with subjects.

I've shot on these kinds of backdrops in the past; the softness is the way the backdrops are made...the blending/smearing/edge transitions are designed to be somewhat soft, which really does help a LOT when shooting at smaller f/stops; the soft transitions in the background keep the background sublimated, and keeps the background from competing for visual attention with subjects.

Great. Yeah that's what I'm hoping for.

Gosh, these are expensive though. $260 and up it looks like.

There are options, like Muslin, Canvas, Freedom Cloth and something else. I have some research to do.

But you can use it over and over again, just like a $260 lens, and $260 isn't all that much for a lens.

But you can use it over and over again, just like a $260 lens, and $260 isn't all that much for a lens.

Stop being so rational :er:

Would you personally go canvas or muslin? (it will not be moved much)

I preferred muslin, but mostly used seamless paper.

All my muslin backdrops came from Silverlake or Denny Manufacturing.

I preferred muslin, but mostly used seamless paper.

All my muslin backdrops came from Silverlake or Denny Manufacturing.

Between Silverlake and Denny Manufacturing, did you notice a quality difference? Or, any notable color differences between what was shown online and what you received?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back